PSI Tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

simplepens

While anxiously waiting for my new lathe (arriving Monday!!) I started looking at the PSI catalog. The lathe tool prices are very inexpensive...but what about the quality?? Anyone have or used any of the gouges, chisels, etc???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Larry,

Want to talk cheap? I use the Harbor Freight turning set. I got 8 tools for around $15. I figured that I wanted to learn to sharpen inexpensive tools rather than expensive ones. I'm still using them a year later. I likely sharpen more often than those using name brand tools, but they work fine for me.

Fred in NC

All the reports I have heard about the PSI tools are very good. It looks like they are replicas of name brand tools made in China, and a great value for the money.

I have two basic tool sets. One is the HF HSS $39 set, which is an incredible value. I have used it for 2 years. The other is an ancient Montgomery Ward set which I believe is carbon steel. The gouges hold a very fine edge, and I use them all the time.

I also have other brand name tools from Crown and Sorby that don't come in the sets, like bowl gouge and oval skew. These cost a lot more.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Though I have some low end from Woodcraft( mea culpa purchased early in my turning career)I also use my $12.00 HF set.
There is a particular skew I pick up often I got from WC but it is because of the size not the qulity of the steel or feel of the tool.I bellieve it is a Windsor 3/4" skew.
I have a round nose skew that came in the HF set.It gets used on every pen.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I started out with the HD $39 set and have never regreted it... a great starting set at a great price...
in fact it is still the skew I choose first to start my blanks...
I have acquired a fair amount of "brand name" tools over the course also, and the quality of all have been great.. one of the better deals I have found is P&N from Lee Valley... great tools and a very fair price..

alamocdc

Larry, like many above, I've been using my HF HSS set for over a year now. No real complaints, surprisingly. I also have the 3 piece pen cisel set from PSI that with my starter kit. I've used them a few times, but stick mostly with the skew from my HF set. I'm in the hunt for a good inexpensive bowl gouge though.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Bill take a look at the P&N that Lee Valley has.. I love mine..
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,330&p=49138
I have the 3/8 and 5/8..

Fangar

My first set was the HF 15 dollar jobber. At fifteen bucks, theu were a great deal. Carbon fiber of course, but worked fine. The HSS tools will achieve a sharper edge and hold it longer, but will likely be a bit more. I now have the Crown 8 piece set (Along with a few other Crown skews and scrapers)now which is close to 300, but an excellent investment down the road. At the prices shown on the PSI website for HSS stuff, I don't think you can go wrong. Here is the kit I was referring to:

http://www.crownhandtools.ltd.uk/products/hss8piecewoodturning.asp

wayneis

PSI's Benjimins Best line of tools are a pretty good line of turning tools. A while ago I invested in a Pro-PM and really like it but stioll use my Benjimins Best at times.

Wayne

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Larry,

About 6 months ago I bought a PSI "Benjamin's best" skew (3/4") at $13. Figured, what could I lose? The answer turned out to be $39. "How?" you ask.

The thing worked so well, I bought 2 more! It is equal (I BELIEVE) to my oval Sorby skew. So, now I can take a couple when on the road and still keep one (scary sharp, to quote Old Griz) in the shop.

GOOD DEAL!![:D]

simplepens

This is why this forum is so good. I have been picking up tools when I could at Woodcraft. (Love my spindlemaster)....but at nearly 40 bucks a tool, it gets a little expensive. Thanks for the advice and voices of experience. I'll probably buy a set when finances catch up with desire. (Gotta pay the bills)

Rifleman1776

I bought a set of eight large turning tools for $20.00. They work just fine, but as noted, require sharpening frequently. Many PSI tools are from China and while the quality is usually good, there are quality control problems in the factories. Be sure to keep receipts and contact tech support if you have problems with their products. They will take care of you but it is your repsonsibility to notify them. I returned a mini-chuck four times before getting a good one with #5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom