PSI service and carbide pen mill...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD

Hello !
I am almost ready to make my first pen but I miss one tool; the pen mill.

Some people recommended to me the PSI carbide mill (It is a good choice ? Is
that worth the money?).

I tried to contact PSI by e-mail 4 times in two weeks to ask
a question concerning the shipping (I am in Canada) but I never received a answers !
Are they closed or they do not answer their e-mail ??

Can I find a carbide pen mill elsewhere? I think that I will forget PSI... :(

Alain

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Stick with the conventional mill and anything you want from PSI get from Woodturningz(Believe it or not it is less expensive and their service is tops!

wood-of-1kind

Alain,

Jacques Coulombe in Quebec also carries all the PSI line and may be convenient for you to inquire. He is a little more expensive than WoodturningZ though.

-Peter-[:)]

OSCAR15

I have carbide pen mill from PSI. Works great on most woods. Tears acrylics to spreds...
I use carbide on hardwoods, where it excels..I use regular on softer woods and plastics...
OSCAR

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Stick with the regular mill.In a pinch you can touch it up until you get it professionally sharpened(PaulinOKC)
You cannot do that with Carbide.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by broitblat
<br />The carbide mill stays sharper longer, but I find it bites into the wood much more and requires you to be more gentle/careful.
There are those who would argue that carbide "holds an edge longrer" but cannot be sharpened as fine as carbon steel.This may be why some have problems with different materials.
I use the PSI steel mill for all materials,soft and hard woods, acrylics, bone, plexiglass blanks with aluminum brass or copper in them.I see no need for a carbide mill.
I turn non ferrous metals with my turning tools, why the need for a carbide mill that is difficult for me to maintain?
Just my take, your mileage may vary.

gerryr

Also, be aware that if you drop the carbide pen mill, the carbide can break.[:0] If, and when, someone comes out with a carbide pen mill with replaceable cutters, I might buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom