PSI sculpted pen and desk set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pipeyeti

I ordered a few of the pen,letter opener, and magnafying glass sets. Boy they are not made very well. They took a lot of tweaking by me to make them right. Nib on the pen fit lousy, and the caps have to be pressed into a brass piece before being pressed into the tube. The fit between the cap and the brass insert was so tight that I thought I was going to break my press. Anyway I tweaked everything and made them all work correctly. Now its a very nice set. Has anyone else used these and how were they recieved by customers?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

Hey Larry,

How's the ankle doing? Got any tampers made since you got back? Any chance you might post a tutorial on how you do those? :) James

kirkfranks

Larry,
I did a couple of the sculpted pens and letter openers.
I had the same trouble with them that you did.
Things just didn't fit well and the cap was so loose on one I had trouble getting the pen to twist out and back consistently.

JimBobTucson

I completed one of these sets recently:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32474
I have to agree, it was one of the worst engineered kits I have used. But, once you get over the frustration and confusion, you are left with a very pleasing looking product. So far, customer comments have been very positive.

Incontrast, the PSI Segmented Desktop Set is much better engineered and cheaper. I just wish they offered different platings.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32390

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Larry ,I've made about 100 of the pens , and have had all of the problems you have mentioned . My cousin keeps getting orders for them . So I keep making them . I started putting a drop of super glue on each of the parts that are to be pressed together . Except on the cap . I use a small set of vise grips & a cloth diaper (clean) to press into the brass piece . I learned to do this after damaging the sculpting on the cap with the press . Hope this helps you .

pipeyeti

Yes I started useing my bench vise to press the caps and brass bushings together after almost breaking my pen press. They do look great when finished. You would think they would do a better job on them.

dweir

I had a bad time with PSI letter openers. Seems they are made out of Pot Metal and break really easily. I am looking elsewhere for a good letter opener/magifier set. I am going to see what Bill has at AZ or what Berea has..

Just my .02

Dave

Top Bottom