PSI quality

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turff49

I haven't bought from PSI in over 5 years. I got their catalog in the mail today and am wondering if the quality has changed any. I remember the kits being of poor quality. One of the kits I was looking at in the catalog was the "Over Under Shotgun Pen". Anyone that has worked with this kit can you tell me if the quality is there or do they "feel" cheap.
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kaspar

I have always found PSI kits to feel and look a bit cheap. Their newer, high-end stuff, might be good, though their love of adorning them with pimp stones has kept me from finding out - where those kits are concerned. I have done the Broadwell Art Deco, and I do and don't like some things about the design, but the overall execution did have a bit of slop in it.

I did just do a Princess Pen with Hut's white micapearl for an order this last weekend and I can't say I'm pleased with that kit at all. The spring loaded clip (which I normally like) makes it top heavy and it looks tacky, tacky, tacky. I would never have made it, if it hadn't been ordered.

Honestly, if I have a quaility piece of wood or material I will always think CS-USA, or occasionally Berea, first. The Statesman (reg or Jr) is my go to kit, and Berea's Gold Ti and Sterling Silver finishes are a cut above when the use of them would fit the material.

In the end, what matters is does it sell, and if people are doing well with PSI kits, more power to them.

Last edited:

el_d

I have not been impressed with PSI. I have tried the Majestic. The kit seems OK but the drill bits I got from them are POS. I contacted them with the bit problem and they shipped me another POS.

I have been wanting to try the squire(looks like the Sierra) but Im not sure abut that.

+1 on CSUSA good stuff.

MSGMP

Glad to see I am not the only one. PSI has not impressed me with their kits overall. Still try a few here and there but either buy from Woodcraft, I have one fairly close, or CSUSA. Like the Vertex click pen from PSI, but only have turned 3 of them.

turff49

Yeah. That's why it's been 5 years for me. The shotgun pen caught my eye as my son is a gun enthusiast. But I don't like "cheap". It's like turning crappy wood. Why would you. The vendors I buy from are Arizona Silhouette, Berea, CSUSA, and Lau Lau. I guess my son won't get the Shot gun pen.
Thanks,
Brian

IPD_Mr

Wow, I thought it was just me being stuck up about some of the PSI kit. I guess I am not the only one with some of the same feelings. The pimp chips bother me, but so many of our members have knocked them out and made their own with the same material the blanks are made of and it doesn't look too bad. I have been burned by their sister company MLCS, so I have always been leery of them. Maybe it is time to try a kit or two just to see.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Nice kit

I have not been impressed with PSI. I have tried the Majestic. The kit seems OK but the drill bits I got from them are POS. I contacted them with the bit problem and they shipped me another POS.

I have been wanting to try the squire(looks like the Sierra) but Im not sure abut that.

+1 on CSUSA good stuff.

The majestic squire seems like a pretty good kit to me.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Good Kits

I've done a lot of PSI kits over the past 2-3 years and I don't think they either look or feel cheap, nor have they been "sloppy" going together. I can't speak for any of the many new models they just started offering but their main line kits have been just fine. .... I don't think much of their tools.

toolcrazy

I used to think the same of PSI, cheap kits, with no thought into them. They seem to be trying to change their ways. I have ordered some of their Slimline Pro Click Ballpoints and they are really a nice pen. Mech works good and the finish is quality. Now if they would speed up their processing off their website, I would be happy.

I think all of the providers have their duds, CSUSA included. You just need to weed out the bad stuff and buy the good stuff.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Use Phone

I used to think the same of PSI, cheap kits, with no thought into them. They seem to be trying to change their ways. I have ordered some of their Slimline Pro Click Ballpoints and they are really a nice pen. Mech works good and the finish is quality. Now if they would speed up their processing off their website, I would be happy.

I think all of the providers have their duds, CSUSA included. You just need to weed out the bad stuff and buy the good stuff.

Yes, you seem to get faster service if you phone the order and ask for expidited shipping.

Rangertrek

I have ordered literally thousands of $$ from PSI over he past few years. When I have had an issue with them, they have made it right. Some of the kits I don't like, so I don't buy them again. I also buy from a few of their re-sellers and all of them have corrected any problems. I tend to now buy the higher end kits or the better plating types.

TexasTaxi

I've only got, maybe 100 pens under my belt, so my opinion might not count for much.

The pens that I got from PSI, didn't seem to want to press together, straight.
I wasn't happy and will only order blanks from them, from now on.

el_d

I guess I could always buy the kit, give it a try, and make a decision then if I'd buy anymore. At least I'd have the Shot gun pen for my son.

Wood n whimsie carries much of the same stuff, plus I have had better customer service and faster shipping from them.

penmaker1967

i ahve done psi kits for over 3 years and had no trouble with them and they sell very well for me the only kit i have had trouble with is the gold fun kit but they fixed the problem with them for me the other day

ToddMR

I haven't had quality issues personally with all the various stuff I have ordered from them. I have had parts fail here and there, but that is to be expected imo. They take care of it all of the same though. The only kit I am really being turned off of is the detachable key chain, which I have had 2 of 2 failures with the plunger.

omb76

I haven't had any problems with kits that I've bought from PSI. They seem to be the same high quality as the other 2 biggies sell. Each supplier has their duds and you have to learn which ones they are and find a suitable alternative for it from someone else. I haven't had any problems with the fit not being good or the quality of the materials / finish not holding up (I tend to stick with higher end platings though). I do wish they would offer an upgraded version of their Tycoon pen similar to what CSUSA does with their Jr. Gent II & Statesman line. Something a little flashier than the Tycoon, but a little more subtle than the Majestic (though I do love the Majestic and it's one of my best sellers lately). Also, I like the fact that I can get the higher end platings such as Rhodium, Titanium, etc. in their smaller pens like the Comfort, Executive, etc.

Atherton Pens

Over Under pic

Here's a pic of an Over Under I made for my son-in-law. I was happy with the quality of the pen, but it is a bit top heavy with the cap posted. It IS a big, heavy pen but I pleased with the quality of the parts.

Attachments

• Shotgun2.jpg
    Shotgun2.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 118
  • Shotgun3.jpg
    Shotgun3.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 126

65GTMustang

I have ordered a great deal from PSI.
In my early years.....It is the only pen kit source I knew of - "That's marketing for you"
5 minutes ago I would have typed up a nasty review - bashing PSI completely.
Why? – I'm glad you asked…
In short - I had received 3 pen components from two different kits that were defective from the bag. One had a worn finish (the lifetime warranty finish???)
The second part was bent, the third part was incomplete.
I noticed this a week ago Saturday - they are not open on the weekends so I sent an email concerning the parts, requesting replacements and confirmation of my email.
Wednesday came and I had not heard anything. I called - I won't go into details I will simply say the rep was not professional - I think an 8 year would have responded more maturely. During part of the call they simply said "ok we will send those parts to you thank you for calling"....'HELLO' would you like to know what finish and kit the parts came from so you know what to send???? "Oh yeah ok" they said....
Needless to say it's a week later and NOTHING!
SO,
I just called and spoke with the only person that has ever actually taken care of any issues I have had in the past and my parts on there way.

I guess you could say everyone has a bad day; however it did take 3 times to get the problem fixed.
This is not the only issue I have had - But I can't say that the issues went unresolved.

Over all I would give them an 8 out of 10.

Some of the kits are very poorly designed and made. However obviously someone buys them?
I noticed that Kaspar reviewed the Princess pen – I would agree 100% and have heard the same thing from others – It is a BAD pen – and extremely TACKY!!!!
I came by one in a package trade – Being a freebie I won't complain too much – I turned a whimsically colored casting and will probably post it for sale, but recommend that it be for a girl in there tweens…It is a fairy tale style pen and not very well suited for someone that appreciates a fine writing instrument with so much "BLING BLING"…LOL

The Majestic Squire I will give some credit too – I have had great success with this pen and if you have some imagination there is a lot you can do to convert the pen for different looks.

To wrap things up – I would say that you get what you pay for (most of the time).
I purchase across the board trying to find new vendors all the time for new items.

As far as the "nice" pens go, I would have to say the ones I like the most are sold elsewhere.
GOOD LUCK!!!
That's my 3 cents!

jttheclockman

I have made and will continue to make the majestics. I personally do not mind the crystal at all. I will be trying to replace it in the future just to give a different look but it does not bother me at all.. I have some of the princess kits and the ones with the charms but they are a fun kit for whimsy and that is all. I think people look way too much in making something out of nothing. The kits are what they are. As far as any other kits, I will stay away from them.

spnemo

In my opinion, the quality of PSI kits is generally as good as or superior to any other kits on the market. They usually have nice a tight fit and solid feel in my hand. However, I don't order many kits from them because I don't like the design of most of their kits and their shipping is super slow.

I get most of my kits from CSUSA and Berea their quality is good and they have a nicer design.

I don't think I will ever buy another woodcraft kit (unless it is clearly a Berea or PSI kit sold in their stores). Woodcraft is overpriced and their kits have sloppy fits (in my opinion).

Top Bottom