Is the PSI pen genie a gimmick or legit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SoloWorx

Been turning for about 8 months and use a small carbide tipped gouge to rough and do 90% of my finishing. I just can't seem to master a skew without removing nothing, or causing chatter, or chipping. So, I just stick with what i can use.

That said. I love the carbide tipped tool because I don't have to sharpen and that saves me time and money in additional equipment. I know pros....lazy mans approach.

All that said, I see the carbide insert tool from PSI pen genie. It has different tool inserts, all flat, all 2" rad, combo. Thinking about biting but 60 is a little salty considering the insert is only about $15. Anyone have a tool like this. Is it forgiving or limiting? Useful? Gimmick or legit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

I don't know about the PSI copy, but I do own the Woodchuck pro tool made by Ken, wgo is a member here. He was the original inventor of that tool until many companies copied him. I have turned many pens with it and love it. Ive used it for turning gator jaw bone, mammoth ivory, tru stone and acrylics. there was a minor learning curve for me because i wasnt used to having such sharp tools. Also, it leaves a very smooth surface which really cuts down on my sanding. Not to mention Ken is a great guy, a wood turner and an IAP supporter and I like to support the members here.

Woodchuck link... Tools

I got one of PSI pen genie and I was surprised at how well it performed. The carbide is thinner than others but it is extremely sharp and has held up very well. I find that I reach for it more than any other tool including my C3i I like the size for turning pens. I ordered the extra cutters with all radius edges, I am not a fan of the flat carbide tools. I have used it on wood, acrylic and antler so far with excellent results

Last edited:
I have not used the PSI carbide tool but look at Capt. Eddie on youtube he has some good videos on using carbide.

Levi Woodard
Woodardwoodworks.com

Sent from my Galaxy player using Forum Runner

SoloWorx

Thanks guys. I'm going with the original. If the credit goes to ken with the pen pro woodchuck. Then he deserves the business. I will seek a radius as I can understand the flat being unforgiving. I'll use the link provided.

Jim Burr

Banned
I just started using carbide tools and they are great!! But keep in mind...it's not an "end-all" weapon...just another tool. Keep working on your skew, practice with all your tools makes you proficient in all areas of turning!

SoloWorx

I will keep practicing for my benefit. But ease of use for pen sales and production is my driver for this. I want to better master the various tools on my time as I expand into more than pens.

I just sent ken an email for a woodchuck invoice via PayPal. Thanks team.

Top Bottom