PSI Lathe Issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DJ2759

Good Morning,

I'm new to pen turning, 3 months, and have learned much from postings here. I have many questions but have a bigger issue at the moment I need help with. I have a PSI variable speed lathe that won't stay at a constant speed. Regardless of the speed, slow or fast, it will fluctuate. I tried several troubleshooting suggestions I found here but nothing has worked. I pulled it off the extension cord and I tried starting it with the speed turned all the way down. I know it's not anything in the head stock because I ran the motor with the belt off and the speed still fluctuates.

It's on a 20amp circuit which I think is enough, it runs my table saw with no problems.

Any suggestions?

Dale J.
F'burg, VA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marc Phillips

I would plug another tool into the same circuit as your lathe and see if it fluctuates ... just to either identify or eliminate the circuit as the problem...

Since it is a variable speed lathe, my experience with variable speed anything is that it is the switch... If you have access to the back of the switch without getting in over your head you can check for an obvious loose wire back there... and clean it with a good spray electronic cleaner... other than that, hopefully someone else with have more ideas...

DJ2759

Thank you for the suggestion. I should have mentioned in my initial post that I did inspect the switch housing for loose wires and did clean the switch. The circuit is okay and I did try a different one to make sure. All my other tools run fine on it. I'm afraid it has to be a faulty switch unless anyone else has a suggestion.
Thanks again.

Bozz

Dale,

It has been my experience that a variable speed motor plugged into
a GFI outlet will cause the type of problem you are having. My
variable speed scroll exhibits the same kind of behavior when plugged into a GFI outlet. Where I live, it is the building code to have GFI
outlet in kitchens, bathrooms and garages.

I had my brother install a 20AMP breaker without GFI just for my
variable speed tools. Try plugging your lathe into an outlet without
a GFI, hope it works!!!

Bozz in Fair Oaks, California

IAP is a great place!!!

Russianwolf

A note on GFI. If the outlet you are using isn't GFI, the circuit may still be GFI. You will need to verify that all the outlets on the circuit are standard and not GFI to be sure. Took me three hours to find the GFI poped in the garage when my bathroom light wouldn't come on.

toolcrazy

Some where else I read that PSI instructed another lathe owner to clean the brushes in the motor. Their tech will probably tell you the same thing. But I would still call.

Note: If you are running 20amp circuit, use 20amp wire. :)

DJ2759

All,
Thanks.
Wasn't excited about opening the motor but I'll give it a shot.
Good tip on the circuit possibly being GFI even though the outlet isn't.

Thanks again.
We'll let you know what I learn.

Dale J
F'burg, VA

DJ2759

Not a reeves drive but thanks.
Carried the lathe to several different outlets in the house to test against GFI issue. Same problem on all outlets so I don't think it's GFI. I will try to clean the brushes but now I have to show my stupidity in this arena, how do you do it. I know I need to remove the motor and remove the back or front cover....but then what?
Should I use a special solution or just dry clean? Anything I should guard against?

Dale J
F'burg, VA

DJ2759

Okay,
Took the motor off and took off the back cover, which was a mistake. There are two access points to the brushes on the side of the back housing that allow you to take out what I assume are the brushes. Like I said before, not my arena. Dry cleaned everything keeping in the back of my mind that all I really needed to do was adjust or play with the brushes by backing out or in the screws. Put everything back together as carefully as I could, those long screws were a joy. Pluged it in and stood back, I flipped the on switch, sparks flew and the the circuit blew. Unplugged everything and tried adjusting the brushes. Plugged it in, turned it on and it was Forth of July in my garage and seconds later total darkness.
I hate electricity. Looks like a new lathe or motor in my future.

RANT: I've been very happy with PSI regarding delivery of everything I've ordered. Had I waited, one of the service technicians probably could have saved me time and money. What I don't like is the four pages of instructions that come with the lathe that really don't tell me anything nor are there a trouble shoot pages. They have packages for guys like me who are new to turning, I've learned more from this site about the lathe I purchased than from PSI....there, done.

Probably will go to Woodcraft tomorrow to pick up the Jet, or spend the rest of the holidays making blanks.

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.

Dale J
F'burg, VA

Randy_

Originally posted by DJ2759

.....I know I need to remove the motor and remove the back or front cover....but then what? Should I use a special solution or just dry clean? Anything I should guard against?

Dale: Unless it is an absolute emergency, you would be wise to call PSI and get their input before messing with the lathe.

That being said, if you chose to proceed without checking with them, the following may help. First off, on most DC motors that I have seen, it is not necessary to disassemble the motor to access the brushes. And you may not even need to remove the motor from the lathe. Before working on the motor, be sure to pull the plug from the wall. It is not enough to just turn off the power switch.

Look on the outside of the motor case for two little plastic protrusions about a half inch in diameter. They will be on the end of the case farthest from the pulley end and the will be placed 180° from each other on the case. Each will have a slot or a cross to accept a screwdriver that allows you to remove a little circular cover. Be very careful here as those covers are made out of a plastic-like material and are very brittle. They are easy to chip/break if you are not careful. The brushes are under these covers and are spring loaded. The covers are liable to go flying when unscrewed so I usually loosen the cover with a screwdriver and then finish the removal with my fingers to control the cover.

With the cover off pull out the brushes. Pay attention to any orientation indicators. Most don't have any; but occasionally you run into an oddball. And be gentle handling the brushes....they are not terribly fragile; but you could easily break one if you drop it on a hard surface.

Take a look at the end of the brush opposite to where the spring is attached. It should have a slightly concave shape due to rubbing against the rounded contour of the motor shaft. It is only this concave surface on the end of the brush that needs cleaning and no liquid cleaners or anything of the like is necessary. What you need to do is "LIGHTLY" scuff up the concave surface of the brush. Be very gentle....you are not trying to sand off material or flatten the end of the brush. I would use a little piece of 600 grit sandpaper or a comparable grit in MM.....1800.

When completed, put the brush back in the motor, observing any orientation marks if present and screw the cover back on. Because of the spring, it will be a little tricky to get the cover back on correctly. Be careful not to get the cover cross-threaded.

You "MUST" be sure to get the brush oriented properly!! Think about how the round surface of the motor shaft will be oriented inside the motor and then orient the brush so its concave surface will match with the surface of the motor shaft.

Hope this will be of help. Do be aware there other things that could cause your problem so this may not fix your problem; but it is the first and easiest thing to try. And, of course, all of the above may not be applicable at all if the PSI motor is of a different design that what I am normally used to seeing.

As to the comment about running VS tools on a GFI circuit, I would say that anything is possible; "BUT" I have never seen that information ever offered before and would like to hear it from a licensed electrician or EE before I am convinced. If someone is having a problem with a VS tool on a GFI circuit, my feeling is that it is more likely that the GFI is faulty or wired incorrectly.

DJ2759

Randy,

I wish I had gotten your post 90 minutes ago! Laughing!.....read my post before yours.
I learned a lesson and had I gotten yours before hand I'm sure I would have been succesful.....thank you....I learned the hard way.

Dale J

DJ2759

Thanks again for all the advice. Have to retract half my rant on PSI for not have detailed instruction books. I found the answers I was looking for the motor (cleaning the brushes) on the variable speed upgrade kit. They have a section for care of the motor that would have been very useful. Below is the link should anyone who is very new to this, like myself, would like to take a look.

http://www.pennstateind.com/library/TCLVSKIT_ins.pdf

Thanks again.

Dale J.
F'burg, VA

Randy_

Brush Maintenance
Your lathe has a motor equipped with carbon brushes (ZTCL4-
68). They and the commutator need periodic maintenance. During
break in and high power usage, a carbon track may be formed on the
commutator. This carbon track will insulate the brushes from the
commutator causing poor performance and eventually stopping the
lathe. Remove the brushes and clean the commutator with a new
pencil eraser through the brush port. If the brushes are not broken
shape them with a round file leaving a crescent shaped indentation
the brush end approximating the diameter of the commutator.
Reinstall brushes so this indentation is oriented to the shape
of the commutator.

Top Bottom