PSI Gold Plating Guarantee

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrcook4570

I was leafing through a PSI catalog the other day and noticed a Lifetime Guarantee on all gold plated kit parts, which, I assume, would include their 24k plated parts. It has been my experience that 24K plated parts will wear away. Most of my pens are CSU or Berea. So, is the PSI plating superior to all the others, or how are they at backing up that guarantee? Or am I just missing the fine print?

Stan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

Two points here, Stan.

The PSI gold plating is coated with some sort of an epoxy finish so it is probably more durable that the standard uncoated gold plating.

Secondly, even if the plating is not as durable as they claim, if a person has a completed pen on which the plating wears a little, what are they going to do turn it in to PSI for a new kit or keep the worn pen. I really think the guarantee could be considered useless as not one person in a thousand is going to file a claim against it???

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Aside from what Randy said... if your customer's pen starts to brass.. who do you think they are going to come back to.. you or PSI.. it is your reputation on the line.. that is why I never use less than TN Gold for a pen I am going to sell..
As for the superiority of the PSI platings.. <b>and this is just my opinion</b>, I think CSU and Berea have better platings.. <b>again this is just my opinion</b>

Fred in NC

I totally agree with Tom. It is my reputation on the line. For that reason I have switched to better platings too. I don't want to take a chance.

However, last Fall I made a pen with a PSI 24K kit, the cheap ones with the black line from PSI. I decided not to sell this pen. I have used it daily, and it goes in and out of my pocket, and on my desk. The plating is still there. Go figure!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Over the years, I have sold hundreds of PSI 24K slimlines (before TN became available) I have NEVER had one returned. However, when TN became available, I switched (Also PSI slimline & comfort). For a buck or so more, it seems like a better investment in customer satisfaction.

Like Old Griz, the disclaimer-this is only MY opinion-also on anything above slimline, I like CSUSA & Berea better, I BELIEVE they have more reliable mechanisms. Also, IN MY OPINION, PSI staff CAN be "independant".

Rifleman1776

Most of the talk I have seen here relates to claims about durability with different platings. I would like some first hand observations related with regard to this subject. I'll start. My personal pen is a 24K Baron, I have been carrying and using it daily for several months. There is no discernable wear on the plating. I also carry a 24K plated pill bottle key ring (I believe I recall it being from PSI). The gold is well worn and considerable silver-colored shiny metal is showing through on this item. This has been in use about six months and does receive a lot more handling than a pen.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Tom Stephens
<br />...I don't know about any of the Berea kits.
Tom
Branchport, NY
Per the Berea 2004-05 catalog
GOLD PLATING. Gold plating is ultimately not durable when exposed to abrasion. There just is no "free lunch". Gold plating can be made more durable depending on the method used to plate, additives to the gold, and techniques employed.
and
All gold plating used on our kits is 24k "upgrade gold". Upgrade means that the parts are plated using the rack method and that small amounts of cobalt or palladium are added to the plating chemicals. This enhances the durability of the gold plating. The tumbled method, which we do not use, produces an inferior gold plating and is less costly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom