PSI fountain pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

I want to try a PSI kit. Have a request from a friend for one. Figure I'll make a few. I don't sell these...so you know it's going to cost me (as usual). What is your favorite kit and why. I don't mind buying the higher end kits. Thanks, Frank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I'm thinking it depends a lot on what your friend's requirements are. Male or female, large hands or small, likes/dislikes, screw cap or click on, bling or no bling.

Assuming female looking for a more slender style, I'd go with the Classic or the Traditional.

Assuming male who likes bigger pens, look at the Olympian or the Tycoon.

And, yes, the Majestic is nice, but I just don't like a bigger pen (any pen, really) with a fake diamond in the clip. Personal preference.

magpens

Why PSI ? . (You asked a why question, so I am throwing it back at you ! LOL ! )

Why not one of the new Jr. series like the Jr. Aaron (which uses the Jr. Gent tubes and bushings) ? ... very nice and reliable platings and cheaper than the Majestic.

Or how about the Jr. Statesman, which is a really classy and quality pen kit for about the same price as the Jr. Aaron (or the Majestic Junior).

Or, for a little more money, the Jr. Emperor (still about the same price as the PSI Majestic but more classy and with very reliable platings and a useable clip).

The full-size Emperor ?

The Jr. Imperial or the full-size Imperial ?

The Venus ? . The Lotus ? . (not sure if they are still available)

Step it up a bit more ? . The Great Palace Vine ? You said you didn't mind higher end .

You've got lots of choices ... go for quality, man !

studioseven

I prefer either the Majestic Jr or the Nouveau Sceptre both available from PSI. I find the Majestic a little too large for myself. As mentioned in another post, it all depends on the taste of who will be receiving it.

Seven

WriteON

Why PSI ? . (You asked a why question, so I am throwing it back at you ! LOL ! )

You've got lots of choices ... go for quality, man !

Answer to few questions... The pen is for a man. Size/weight does not matter for now. If I really wanted to custom tailor the pen choice I would take him to PSI showroom in Pa and let him handle a few samples. I pass by PSI weekly from May - Oct. and use online ordering otherwise. The reason for PSI... I enjoy their products and customer service. I tend to be a loyal customer as they have been really accommodating. The Majestics & Nouveau Sceptre look real good and I'm leaning toward them.
I'm glad I asked the "Why" as I gave no consideration to size/weight when I started the thread. Thanks for the replies.

I'm sure the other vendors are 1st class and might try them someday but for now I'm a PSI person. However I'll keep the others in mind.

Last edited:

Drewboy22

I just ordered some Presimos and I am looking forward to trying one out. They seem more like a user pen instead of a fat show pen. (Nothing against Fat Show Pens, I just cant write well with them)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Your dedication to a vendor is admirable.

Point of fact, if you are looking for "better pens", PSI offers the Broadwell series and the majestics. Dayacom offers several choices, with less "bling", but high end quality.

Good luck in your quest.

MTViper

I really like the look and feel of the American Patriot fountain pen. I made a rollerball/fountain pen set for myself and I have to fight to keep them. They feel great in my hand and look sharp. I used King Cocobolo on them that I got from Woodturningz. I also have a Vertex Supreme fountain pen that's great.

76winger

I like the Apollo Infinity and the Nouveau Sceptre from PSI. The Apollo is big pen, but lighter than most of it's size. The Sceptre just looks really cool to me.

WriteON

I just received the Nouveau Sceptre kits. It has a Cartridge OR Pump Reservoir.
What is your experience with each. For openers I do not have ink so I guess the first with be with the cartridge. Once the pen is complete can the cartridge/pump be swapped? Thanks.

MTViper

Yes the cartridge and pump can be swapped after it's turned and assembled. The reason for using cartridges is so that you don't have to mess with the hassle of filling the pump. I usually recommend starting with the cartridge and give the customer the pump as well so he/she can decide which to use.

Steve

WriteON

Yes the cartridge and pump can be swapped after it's turned and assembled. The reason for using cartridges is so that you don't have to mess with the hassle of filling the pump. I usually recommend starting with the cartridge and give the customer the pump as well so he/she can decide which to use.

Steve

Perfect. Thank you. Frank

Joey-Nieves

Try the Jr. Anthony From Exotic Blanks. They also have the majestic s. There prices are usually lower and the service is superb. You will also find other high end pens that are just as stunning.
I made 2 Majestic s this week and A Jr. Anthony, They are the same width and almost the same size. Although the Anthony does not have the Swarovski on the clip the pen is of great quality, easy to make and a little less expensive than the Majestic.
They are about the same difficulty to turn and assemble.
These are the 2 Majestic pens, one is Rhodium and Gold TI, the other is rhodium and Black TI, the wood is 200 year old Cocobolo Pubens (Moralon)

WriteON

Try the Jr. Anthony From Exotic Blanks. They also have the majestic s. There prices are usually lower and the service is superb. You will also find other high end pens that are just as stunning.
I made 2 Majestic s this week and A Jr. Anthony, They are the same width and almost the same size. Although the Anthony does not have the Swarovski on the clip the pen is of great quality, easy to make and a little less expensive than the Majestic.
They are about the same difficulty to turn and assemble.
These are the 2 Majestic pens, one is Rhodium and Gold TI, the other is rhodium and Black TI, the wood is 200 year old Cocobolo Pubens (Moralon)

Thanks Joey

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I am amused that this whole conversation has taken place about making a nice fountain pen and not even ONE person has mentioned the nib, or the feed.

Lots of attention to the sizzle.

Not a BAD thing, just "interesting" to me.

WriteON

I am amused that this whole conversation has taken place about making a nice fountain pen and not even ONE person has mentioned the nib, or the feed.

Lots of attention to the sizzle.

Not a BAD thing, just "interesting" to me.

I have no knowledge or experience with any fountain pen. I look forward to being educated.

jttheclockman

This is the reason I do not bother with fountain pens. If you want a fountain you won't be buying from me. If you truely are going to sell fountain pens like a pro there is so much more to know than sticking parts on. Some people get away with it but I found people who buy fountain pens know what to look for. They know about different feeds, different nibs and different inks along with paper. It is a technical side of pen turning for sure. :)

Happy turning.

WriteON

This is the reason I do not bother with fountain pens. If you want a fountain you won't be buying from me. If you truely are going to sell fountain pens like a pro there is so much more to know than sticking parts on. Some people get away with it but I found people who buy fountain pens know what to look for. They know about different feeds, different nibs and different inks along with paper. It is a technical side of pen turning for sure. :)

Happy turning.
I appreciate your integrity. I cannot answer any questions if asked....would be embarrassed ...However are they worth $100-$150 to someone that likes it? Can they be classified as high quality low end fountain pens. Are they better or as good as a pen in their class.

I'm going to gift these to a few buddies. I don't expect any complaints.

Joey-Nieves

My best sellers are fountain pens, I keep Bock nibs in stock and I usually upgrade the nib when I buy them(nice option from Exotic Blanks).
Now, The inexpensive kits, most have a fair nib for a beginner, The kits I buy have a nice Schmidt nib and can easily be tweak these are to articles I find useful
Guide to Fountain Pen Nibs: Troubleshooting Tips and Tricks - JetPens.com
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_bNRrPk5MY

Most people who buy an expensive pen, know what they are buying and can distinguish a good nib from a bad one. They buy my pen with an upgraded nib or they have have there own nib suppliers.

Fountain Pens are making a comeback and I like the satisfaction of having a happy client, The 2 pens I posted before are FP and I sold them for $200 each, I usually sell them for more, but He is a repeating client.

jttheclockman

Frank good for you and hope they do like them. Maybe you will start a trend for yourself. Getting into selling fountain pens does take some work and some knowledge. The link Joey gave is a good one. There are some in the library too. You will always have this forum to strengthen your knowledge too. As far as what kit is good for this I can not answer because I mentioned I do not make them. But I do know the majestic is a nice solid kit and rollerball or fountain pen they will last a good long time. Tweaking and all that is something others will have to help with. Good luck and happy turning.

WriteON

Frank good for you and hope they do like them. Maybe you will start a trend for yourself. Getting into selling fountain pens does take some work and some knowledge. The link Joey gave is a good one. There are some in the library too. You will always have this forum to strengthen your knowledge too. As far as what kit is good for this I can not answer because I mentioned I do not make them. But I do know the majestic is a nice solid kit and rollerball or fountain pen they will last a good long time. Tweaking and all that is something others will have to help with. Good luck and happy turning.

I don't think I'm going too far with fountain pens other than to make few for the fun of it. Pen turning is the of the best things that ever happened to me. The fun and gift of being creative. The reward of Thanks and Compliments for gifting or selling. This forum and the people that contribute. I'm thankful for all of this...and I'm putting that in ink.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

I don't think I'm going too far with fountain pens other than to make few for the fun of it. Pen turning is the of the best things that ever happened to me. The fun and gift of being creative. The reward of Thanks and Compliments for gifting or selling. This forum and the people that contribute. I'm thankful for all of this...and I'm putting that in ink.
I've made a few for myself with stock nibs and found them in general to write as smooth or smoother than a rollerball and 100% better than may father and mother's Parker from the 1930's that as a kid I couldn't sign my name without it blotting. They have not been overly expensive kits that I used either.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
A "well-tuned" cheap nib can write quite well. Which is good, cause many PennState models have nibs that don't seem to be a standard size, so what you get is what you keep.

DaveT

I like to be able to offer my customers choices in the width of the nib. And most PSI kits don't allow me to do that.

I agree that fountain pens seem to be making a comeback, 50% of my sales are fountain pens.

WriteON

My first. Upper section decided to give me some grief. Was supposed to be an all red(synthetic)burl pen. Some things do not end the way we would like them to.
Gave it to a friend to review. He's a writer.
Comments. Beautiful finish, nib too broad for him. The chrome neck that the nib attached to was not to his liking. Not saying it a bad pen...just not for him.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 118

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Happy turning.
I sort of felt like you do JT until I tried a couple of fountain Pens (I've got both high and low priced) and I was suprised at how nice some of them write "out of the box". Smoother than a roller ball without the nib being touched. I think for a lot of first time buyers they will be happy with the pen as it - experienced users (in my opinion) will probably either be able to tune the nib themselves or will know someone who can. I don't shy away from having fountain pens made for my collection anymore.

WriteON

I think for a lot of first time buyers they will be happy with the pen as it

Sure. Why wouldn't they be. The pen from your shop is a high quality item for what's put into it.
I have 5 more kits and will take it one at time. Was going to return them however
there's a pen for every hand. And no one ever returned a gift.....I'm batting 1000:biggrin:

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Well since i was referenced again I will respond. I do have a few fountain pen kits that someday I may make and put out there. But as i said i am not informed enough to answer questions if asked. But to use Franks line, no one ever refuses a free gift so maybe that would be good. I have tried writing with a fountain pen or two but always afraid if I leave the pen in one spot too long there would be this big clob of ink. It also feels scratchy. Just an opinion.

The review of your pen by someone who uses them is more true than a person who uses occasionally. It gives you an idea or two to work with. Maybe others will feel differently.

monophoto

I want to try a PSI kit. Have a request from a friend for one. Figure I'll make a few. I don't sell these...so you know it's going to cost me (as usual). What is your favorite kit and why. I don't mind buying the higher end kits. Thanks, Frank

I find many of the PSI designs to be 'too designy' - too much bling, too tacky for my tastes. And entirely too many based on a gun theme which I refuse to consider. That's purely a personal thing. And unfortunately, they change models about as often as I change socks, so the pens I made a few years ago are no longer available.

Of the current models:

Slimline - fine, I have been happy with the results.
Majestic Squire - OK, but it's a bit heavy. It uses a 3/8" tube which is an odd size and complicates the tooling selection.

monophoto

And one other thing -

OP asked specifically about fountain pens. I'm a fountain pen user (and have been for many years), so I have some basis for comparison. I've used CSUSA Artisan pens - they are OK although the feed tends to dry out if the pen isn't used regularly. My current 'daily carry' pen is a PSI Big Ben (no longer available). All of these pens use the dreaded 'snap cap' closure. I also made some of the older screw-cap Big Ben pens (also no longer available) . In my opinion, these pens are only marginally usable.

The best fountain pen kit I know of is the screw cap El Grande.. My wife purchased one for ma many years ago, and it had to be returned because the 'fine' nib was too scratchy. The person who sold her the pen did something - I don't know if he exchanged the pen, exchanged the nib, or tuned the nub, but today the pen writes very well.

But my bottom line is that the selection of fountain pen kits is very limited today. While I have never made or used one, the only PSI fountain pens that looks at all appealing to me are the Classic and the Traditional - but even then the selection of platings very limited and not very appealing.

gbpens

I would not recommend the PSI magnetic fountain pen kits. The fit on the "cap" is not tight enough and the nib dries up quickly.

Top Bottom