PSI designer kit NEEEEDDD HEELLLPPP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

refueler1

Does anyone have close up photos of how you arrange the center bushing on the mandrel? I also have the adjustable sleeve CB spacer and still cant figure out how it goes on. No need to try and talk me through it I have to see how it is done with video or photos. I am about to throw them out into the street!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

Does anyone have close up photos of how you arrange the center bushing on the mandrel? I also have the adjustable sleeve CB spacer and still cant figure out how it goes on. No need to try and talk me through it I have to see how it is done with video or photos. I am about to throw them out into the street!!!!

Did you check the IAP library? I can't say for certain, and I can't spend the time myself right now as I am feeding the pets and getting people dinner, but there are a LOT of great articles, photos etc in there. Also YouTube is another place that people have been posting their video how to's. Try searching the topic there and see if you get any hits.

Wish I could be of more help - but I don't do those and don't have photos personally.

Linda

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Reverse

Higher step toward the top until you get both barrels turned down then you reverse it put the band on it and turn the tenon...you keep trial fitting with the band until it fits right.

refueler1

Did you check the IAP library? I can't say for certain, and I can't spend the time myself right now as I am feeding the pets and getting people dinner, but there are a LOT of great articles, photos etc in there. Also YouTube is another place that people have been posting their video how to's. Try searching the topic there and see if you get any hits.

Wish I could be of more help - but I don't do those and don't have photos personally.

Linda

Yep I looked through the library and didnt find anything to help me. The instruction sheet is just not enough for me. I must have the wrong center bushing as the center band from the desinger kit will not fit onto the bushing. Must be for one of the other kits that look like the Designer from PSI?

refueler1

Is the lower barrel supposed to fit flush with the centerband or should it go into the centerband a little bit to hide where the two barrels meet?

76winger

They have more than one designer variation - Make sure you have the right bushings for the right designer line.

The Designer NT ballpoint and pencil line takes a different bushing set than the Designer NT Rollerball & Fountain pens.

And I don't have any experience with the former designer line (only one left in their catalog) that required a tenon to be made, but it looks like it requires yet a third variation.

Ray McLeod

I make the PSI Designer Pen that has the tennon on the top center...the lower barrell does need to be reduced enough to fit inside the band on the tennon...
PSI now has the same the Designer where the band does not require a tennon..I have not made any of them. I have made many of the designer pens and have sold several.

ohiococonut

Is the lower barrel supposed to fit flush with the centerband or should it go into the centerband a little bit to hide where the two barrels meet?

The lower barrel should just fit into a little recess in the centerband.
Smitty had it right if you need to cut a tenon.

I think they had three different styles of center bushings. One had an adjustable piece on it and one had a small step on it. The latter bushing needs to be reversed during the turning process. Either one of these were used for cutting a tenon. The adjustable one was used so you didn't have to place the centerband on the bushing. You would use it in place of it.
The newest designer kit they carry doesn't require a tenon so the center bushing now just has one large step on it. What is the PSI number of the bushing kit(s) you have? What is the number of the pen kit?

JRay8

i made one of these a few days ago for my son.
the new bushings DO NOT work for the old tennon styled pen kits. BUT, it just so happens that the bushing for the top of the pen is the correct size for the tennon. so when you get to where you are ready to cut the tennon take it all off the mandrel and move the top bushing to the center of the pen. when i did this i did not put the lower blank back on the mandrel so i could let the center band just ride loose around the mandrel for easy test fitting. good luck.

refueler1

The lower barrel should just fit into a little recess in the centerband.
Smitty had it right if you need to cut a tenon.

I think they had three different styles of center bushings. One had an adjustable piece on it and one had a small step on it. The latter bushing needs to be reversed during the turning process. Either one of these were used for cutting a tenon. The adjustable one was used so you didn't have to place the centerband on the bushing. You would use it in place of it.
The newest designer kit they carry doesn't require a tenon so the center bushing now just has one large step on it. What is the PSI number of the bushing kit(s) you have? What is the number of the pen kit?

The bushings are PK-MONT-BU and the kit is PK-MONT-TN

refueler1

I checked the PSI site again and the bushings they sent me said PK-MONT-BU but they dont look anything like the bushings on their web site! The pk-mont-bu bushings on the web site look like ordinary 7mm bushings?

ohiococonut

They're using the wrong picture. I also have the set you describe and it's for the older style that needs a tenon cut. Your center bushing should have one small step in it. Just as Smitty suggested, place the center bushing (large part towards the upper section) and turn both halves to size. Once both halves are to size you need to reverse the center bushing and place the centerband on it. Turn the tenon on the upper half until the centerband fits tightly over it. Make sense?

refueler1

Ok, I finally got the freakin pen made. That was a pain to figure out for some reason. I had to use the sleeve bushing instead of the Mont-BU center bushing. I could not use the mont-bu bushings because the center band did not fit on the bushing. It took me a while but I figure out how to use the sliding sleeve bushing. I only turned one blank at a time though but it all worked out. One thing I did wrong was turned the top of the lower barrel a little to small in diameter and to keep from having a big gap around the top of the lower barrel and the CB I had to make the tenon a little shorter. Trial and error for the first one I guess. How far should the upper end of the lower barrel slid into the CB? Halfway?

MrWright

Passed Away Oct 12, 2022
In Memoriam
I took a couple of close pictures on how I put that center bushing on the mandrel. If you are still interested in seeing them let me know and I will TRY to get them to you. Will take me a little time as I am not too savy on this picture stuff. I have made them with no trouble using the Woodturningz Center Band Sizing Sleeve. Frank

refueler1

I took a couple of close pictures on how I put that center bushing on the mandrel. If you are still interested in seeing them let me know and I will TRY to get them to you. Will take me a little time as I am not too savy on this picture stuff. I have made them with no trouble using the Woodturningz Center Band Sizing Sleeve. Frank

Thanks Frank. I dont think I will need a photo now since I also used the CB sizing sleeve. Just took me a while to figure out how the lower barrel fit against the CB.

Tage

It should go into the centerband a little. As I recall there is a bit of a recess on the chamfered (for lack of a better term) end of the centerband.

rsulli16

hi
i got one and it took me while to figure it out too. Just hold up the ceterband to the adjustable bushing, then slide the middle part back. You will see how it goes from there. With the sliding part all the way over you will see how the bushing matches the inside dieameter of the centerband. the slide the movable part back, and you'll see that that diameter will be your upper barrel diameter.
Loosen up the set screw and hold up a centerband to it and play around with it and you will have a sudden AhhAHH! moment.
Sulli

refueler1

hi
i got one and it took me while to figure it out too. Just hold up the ceterband to the adjustable bushing, then slide the middle part back. You will see how it goes from there. With the sliding part all the way over you will see how the bushing matches the inside dieameter of the centerband. the slide the movable part back, and you'll see that that diameter will be your upper barrel diameter.
Loosen up the set screw and hold up a centerband to it and play around with it and you will have a sudden AhhAHH! moment.
Sulli

Thats how I figured out how to use that adjustable sleeve. But, last night I made my second designer kit and OOPPSS, forgot to turn the bushing around and made the upper barrel to small for the CB. Soooo, I figured out how to make a custom band out of a piece of PR from another blank. Just drilled a large hole about 1/4" deep then drill a 7mm hole going through that. Turned a tenon down to the brass on the upper barrel and glued the CB on and shaped it. The lower barrel fit into the CB perfectly. Actually came out pretty nice. Thanks.

Top Bottom