PSI Concava

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

campzeke

A while back I purchased several Concava pen kits from Penn State Industries. The kit in the photo was purchased as a "Black Enamel" finish. When I removed the parts from the individual bags they looked dull and had a waxey look to them. I wiped them off using a paper towel and a few drops of 70% isopropyl alcohol. Some of the dull finish came off but some remained. I went ahead and assembled the pen and then buffed it lightly "very lightly " using the Barry Gross buffing system. To my surprise much of the cheap black paint was gone leaving the gunmetal finish underneath. OK... I can make that work. So I buffed more trying to remove all the paint with unsatisfactory results.

I work hard at putting out a good product for my customers. I feel that a product should last in the field for quite some time. When a vendor sells this kind of garbage, quite honestly it pi$$€$ me off. There is no excuse for it. This tells me Penn State Industries does little or no quality control and does not care about the fact that we are selling these pens and we have to take care of our customers after the sale. Our customers don't care that we got a crappy product from our vendor they just want it made right when there is a problem.

I write this here because PSI will not allow a review with anything less than four stars to be posted on their website. I have written semi-critical reviews on their Faith Hope and Love pen in the past that never appeared on their website. I understand this is not a high dollar kit at $7 each but "Black Enamel" finish should be a semi permanent finish.

Rant over...

Attachments

• 0413181553.jpg
    0413181553.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 252
  • 0413181553c.jpg
    0413181553c.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 232
  • 0413181554.jpg
    0413181554.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 232
  • 0413181556.jpg
    0413181556.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 194
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lucky2

Rant on Rick, especially, if your rants are as informative as I find this one to be. You quite possibly saved me some money, along with some aggravation. I want to thank you for that, it isn't right for PSI to not publish a review with less then four stars. It's underhanded and deceiving, they should make certain their products are ready to be used without issue.
Len

greenacres2

Appreciate the reminder--I ran into similar finish flaws on 3 black Vertex last weekend, need to call them about that. I didn't go through your steps, but the black was dull & nasty. The gold kit I put the blank on was a good finish, but it was one that was begging for black hardware.
earl

magpens

Not Fake News

Not fake news. . True accounts of real experiences. . I believe them.

I have had similar experiences ... more than once .... a variety of products, a variety of issues.

No publication of honest but unflattering reviews. . It ain't gonna change in our lifetimes.

It is not a "Biggest because we're Best" scenario ..... far from it !!

Keep up the reporting ! . Vote with your feet !

Last edited:

greenacres2

Follow-up on my black enamel Vertex--finally called PSI today, they were willing to exchange but when they checked my history it seems I never bought any black Vertex from them, so i'd have to go through my retailer. Turns out i'd bought them in January on a group purchase from Craft Supplies. Called Craft Supplies and explained, and they sent the replacements out today. Just posted a Cheer for CS-USA--that was good service since I was not the actual "buyer".

Looked at the kits when I got home tonight--and the nibs/clickers are in small bubble wrap bags--and both were gummed up. The other black parts are in regular bags and those are fine. Leads me to think that the little bubble wrap bags may be the culprit somehow. Almost like there was some sort of sludge or grease in the bags. Just a theory.
Anyway, i hope the replacements are good--but i'll not likely buy any more black enamel PSI kits.
earl

magpens

The chemicals in plastics can often interract with the contents inside the plastic bags.

I have experienced this quite frequently.

I would think that might be what happened to your black enameled parts ... the black enamel perhaps interacted with chemicals in the plastic bags the parts were in.

thawkins87

The whole 'disallowing of critical reviews' really ticks me off as a consumer more than anything in your post, if they truly do this. In my mind it's borderline fraudulent... What exactly is the point of having a product review system if you're going to stifle the poor reviews of your product??

Dr_N

The chemicals in plastics can often interract with the contents inside the plastic bags.

I have experienced this quite frequently.

I would think that might be what happened to your black enameled parts ... the black enamel perhaps interacted with chemicals in the plastic bags the parts were in.
I too have experienced this issue, specifically with the black enamel kits. Never thought of the plastic being the issue, good thought.

magpens

The whole 'disallowing of critical reviews' really ticks me off as a consumer more than anything in your post, if they truly do this. In my mind it's borderline fraudulent... What exactly is the point of having a product review system if you're going to stifle the poor reviews of your product??

There is no question in my mind at all ... the stifling happens !

hcpens

I personally think its time for a call/letter to their local /state BBB and Chamber of Commerce, maybe then they will care what the customer thinks and says.

Dehn0045

I too had issues with the one and only black enamel kit that I purchased from PSI, a Stratus click. The finish was dull and "gummy". It was specifically purchased for a gift for my bother, paired with Ziricote to match his "midnight black" truck. I was disappointed, not sure how it has held up over time, but I'll check.

WriteON

Sorry to hear/read this. I'm a big fan of PSI however junk is junk. Anything the that can be criticized or poor from the start should not be sold. They should appreciate your feedback so it can be corrected on their end. I have a minimal of issues with their products but if the finish is anything other than real nice to perfect it P's me off.

magpens

Have been thinking about this scenario ... PSI was unwilling to stand behind their product because it was not bought directly from them but from a sub-vendor. That kinda stinks. Whose product is it anyway ? PSI's !

Follow-up on my black enamel Vertex--finally called PSI today, they were willing to exchange but when they checked my history it seems I never bought any black Vertex from them, so i'd have to go through my retailer. Turns out i'd bought them in January on a group purchase from Craft Supplies. Called Craft Supplies and explained, and they sent the replacements out today. Just posted a Cheer for CS-USA--that was good service since I was not the actual "buyer".
earl

Last edited:
Top Bottom