PSI Collet Mandrel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

There is a similar thread going on about this but I couldn't find a reference to this particular mandrel.

PSI is selling a mandrel that is secured via a collet (permanent 1/4" collet it looks like) that threads directly to the headstock. For $18, it looks like a decent deal if you don't have the need for the extra capacity of the Beall.

Anyone use it? Is it a decent product?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cam

Originally posted by redfishsc
<br />There is a similar thread going on about this but I couldn't find a reference to this particular mandrel.

PSI is selling a mandrel that is secured via a collet (permanent 1/4" collet it looks like) that threads directly to the headstock. For $18, it looks like a decent deal if you don't have the need for the extra capacity of the Beall.

Anyone use it? Is it a decent product?

PSI sells a collet type and a screw on type. I don't like the screw on type. The collet type is ok once you clean up all the burrs on the collet. Like soneone else said "they must have cut the collets with a chain saw".

redfishsc

Hmmm.... I misunderstood their description. Just curiosity, why don't you like the screw-on mandrel?

The "collet" is driven by a morse taper, isn't it? Defeats the purpose of having a collet, seems to me.

Cam

Originally posted by redfishsc
<br />Hmmm.... I misunderstood their description. Just curiosity, why don't you like the screw-on mandrel?

The "collet" is driven by a morse taper, isn't it? Defeats the purpose of having a collet, seems to me.

Yes, it is a morse taper. I've got the collet type runout down to 2 thousands.
My screw on is around 8 thou and can't seem to get it any better.
The shaft in the morse taper type is adjustable. The screw on type is a fixed length and you'll need some extra 7mm bushings for spacers.
I'll be getting a Beale collet chuck in the next few months.

Cam

Cam

gerryr

Buy the Beall. Not only is it better made, but a lot more versatile. Buy it from Charles at http://www.woodchipshome.com/ and save yourself some money.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
redfishsc

I use the PSI mandrel that has the collet on it, on a 1 morse taper. I own about 3 of them and like them much better than any of the other lower end mandrels that you can buy from other places.

I do not have the Beall stuff, so I cannot tell you about it, but I have used the PSI mandrels for quite a few pens and they are reliable, inexpensive, and I have never had an issue with one.

Just my two cents....

redfishsc

Thanks Rojo, for the info on that as well as all y'all.

I do plan on buying the Beall eventually, but I need something a little better NOW than the crap I'm using and, well, the money ain't there at this point.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Glad to help redfishsc! I too would like to get the Bealle stuff, but just cannot swing it right now either. They have some cool looking stuff that I would like to try out, that are not pen related, but still are interesting. Good luck with the mandrel and if you have any questions just email me....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom