PSI closed end pen blank sizes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pshrynk

The instructions on the Majestic Jr, etc. closed end kits all say to have 7.5 inches of blank, but do not say anything about the size of the buggers. The cap tube looks pretty honking big. Can I use a 3/4 inch blank, or am I stuck with 7/8 or bigger?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elyk864

I've done the Majestic normal pens with a 3/4 blank with no issues. Just make d@mn sure you are drilling in the center of the sucker.

magpens

3/4" blanks are OK for the PSI closed end kits, if, as Kyle cautioned, you drill carefully and accurately on the center. . I have done this many times.

I know that the instructions for the closed end kits are not well written and there are some inaccuracies. . There are several different drilling operations, and you have to think things through carefully before you drill the closed end holes. . Also, the design of the cap finial that holds the clip is not very well described and the instructions are a bit "off". . I know there are different closed end kits, and I forget which one it is that I had these problems with. . But I do think it was the closed end Majestic Jr.

pshrynk

I sort of thought that centering was going to be a key. Reading the instructions is sort of like reading Sanskrit, if you ask me. This is going to be one of those projects where I go VERY slowly! But I love a challenge...

magpens

If you love a challenge, then this is a good chance to rise to the occasion ... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: !

PSI instruction sheets are usually pretty good, barring a few minor errors at times. . But this is an exception !! . Be especially careful about the diameters and depths of holes. . Measure your parts, think about what is required, and then think again ... a couple of times, at least !

Last edited:

randyrls

I've made closed end pens and you will get very familiar with your calipers. Practice with a 1" square piece from the big box store.

Measure, MEASure, MEASURE !! Get extra replacement tubes and expand the ends so you can slip them over the fittings while you measure. The drilling must be very precise as to depth. I have a milling machine with DRO, but drilling and checking often should be OK. After you drill the piece, take it to a saw and split you test piece in half. Use the pen kit and tubes to check the fit inside.

Write down all the measurements.

I've made my own expanding mandrels ALA Arizona Silhouette and I have an idea for a mandrel with two o-rings.

duncsuss

After you drill the piece, take it to a saw and split you test piece in half. Use the pen kit and tubes to check the fit inside.

Write down all the measurements.
Alternatively -- use clear acrylic rod. I get mine from US Plastics or from Delvies. You need "cast" rod, not extruded, or it cracks like a windshield. DAMHIKT.

Top Bottom