PSI Civil War Pen Worth the Trouble?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Proud2Turn

Like to make some of the PSI civil war pens, as I think they could be made into a nice unique gift item. Now I've only been able to put my hands on one example of it, a display pen at Woodcraft. The pen's twist mech was very bad. Took some extra twisting to get the ink refill to extend and I never could get it to retract. So natural a have a concern with the quality of the transmission on this kit. Would greatly appreciate some reviews and info from those of you that have worked with this kit and what results you have gotten. Is it a poor quality transmission or was it just a used and abused display pen? What's the good, bad, and ugly?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cwolfs69

Like to make some of the PSI civil war pens, as I think they could be made into a nice unique gift item. Now I've only been able to put my hands on one example of it, a display pen at Woodcraft. The pen's twist mech was very bad. Took some extra twisting to get the ink refill to extend and I never could get it to retract. So natural a have a concern with the quality of the transmission on this kit. Would greatly appreciate some reviews and info from those of you that have worked with this kit and what results you have gotten. Is it a poor quality transmission or was it just a used and abused display pen? What's the good, bad, and ugly?

Thanks

never had a problem with civil war pens. the on on display at woodcraft could be damaged from customer use and abuse.

Fatdawg

I've sold over 120 of them in the last year and a half and the only problem I've encountered is not have enough of them in stock.

plantman

:):) I have made quite a few of these pens and never had a problem. If you realy want to make something impressive, get one pen in satun and one in Gun metal, then go to "kallenshaanwoods .com" and order the set of union and confederate lazor cut flags to put together. They also have a see through pen box with all the generals and leaders lazor cut into the top. I had no problem getting $250 for this set at our guilds woodworking show. I have seen them priced higher on the internet. Jim S

Proud2Turn

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear that it is a solid kit. Really like it and think some really neat things can be done with it; and here in the heart of Dixie I'm sure it could be a great gift item. Now begins the work of collecting some meaningful / period wood for it.

Proud2Turn

:):) I have made quite a few of these pens and never had a problem. If you realy want to make something impressive, get one pen in satun and one in Gun metal, then go to "kallenshaanwoods .com" and order the set of union and confederate lazor cut flags to put together. They also have a see through pen box with all the generals and leaders lazor cut into the top. I had no problem getting $250 for this set at our guilds woodworking show. I have seen them priced higher on the internet. Jim S

Have seen that inlay kit at Kallenshaanwoods. It is very nice, and the pair make an outstanding package. Now I am curious about the Confederate flay inlay... is it one sided or is it mirrored so that the flag is on both sides of the pen? Same question for the Union flag as well.

Rangertrek

I have made and sold 20+ of these since the first of the year. I have had no problems with the transmissions. Put on a nice piece of wood and they get a lot of attention. I have not seen many with acrylics that I thought looked good.

Cherrywalk

I have sold 30+ of these with no problem. I did do one custom build in the satin finish with a Trustone turquoise blank. Other then that, they have all been wood.

plantman

flags

Have seen that inlay kit at Kallenshaanwoods. It is very nice, and the pair make an outstanding package. Now I am curious about the Confederate flay inlay... is it one sided or is it mirrored so that the flag is on both sides of the pen? Same question for the Union flag as well.

:):) Both flages go all the way around the pens and top to bottom. As a matter of fact, you will have to trim the barrels down to get the correct length. The Confederate flag is also called the Southern Cross, and the Union flag is the 35 star flag of the time. The kits are $40 each or $70 if you buy both. Check out the pen box that matches them. Ken and his son do wonderful work with these kits and the others that they sell. I would not be hesitant to buy any of their kits, and I have used almost all of them. Jim S

Wright

In the 70's and 80's I use to hunt Civil War relic's with a metal detector an assumed quite a large collection. In Dalton Ga. I use to dig mini balls out of old pine trees. Now that would be nice wood to make a pen out of! Still have the pieces but would not dare cut the mini ball out of the wood for a blank. The pens sell well at Civil War gun shows.

Proud2Turn

:):) Both flages go all the way around the pens and top to bottom. As a matter of fact, you will have to trim the barrels down to get the correct length. The Confederate flag is also called the Southern Cross, and the Union flag is the 35 star flag of the time. The kits are $40 each or $70 if you buy both. Check out the pen box that matches them. Ken and his son do wonderful work with these kits and the others that they sell. I would not be hesitant to buy any of their kits, and I have used almost all of them. Jim S

Oh that is good news. Not a cheap inlay but from all the comments here and from what I've seen; well worth it and an outstanding pen pair.

Proud2Turn

In the 70's and 80's I use to hunt Civil War relic's with a metal detector an assumed quite a large collection. In Dalton Ga. I use to dig mini balls out of old pine trees. Now that would be nice wood to make a pen out of! Still have the pieces but would not dare cut the mini ball out of the wood for a blank. The pens sell well at Civil War gun shows.

No, I couldn't cut the mini balls out either. Wood connected to civil war battles or soldiers would be great for these pens.

Top Bottom