PSI cigar pen sluggish mechanisms?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bluesguitar

I recently made three PSI ballpoint twist mechanism cigar pens. On two of them the retraction is definitely slow and sometimes incomplete and on the third its iffy. Anyone else having this issue? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Mitch

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bluesguitar

Thanks
For adding a little oil, exactly where should I put it and how much?

I imagine getting it onto the friction-fit parts,etc. Could be a problem.

Thanks.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Thanks
For adding a little oil, exactly where should I put it and how much?

I imagine getting it onto the friction-fit parts,etc. Could be a problem.

Thanks.
Use as small a drop as possible to get out and inside the tranny, none on the outside. You nay have to rotate the tranny a time or two to get the oil to coat the working parts inside.

louie68

Im having the same problem on ultra cigars pens ,seems like it's slippen on the trans someone told me to score the inside of upper cap inside so it grabs the transmission so far did not work or for a few turns, let me know if fine out a better fix, Louie

Justturnin

I was having this issue in the Twisted Wood Cigar I posted the other day. Added a few drops of oil and kept twisting till it was smooth. I proped it upside down on a napkin to allow any excess to drain.

paramount Pen

Also Iv'e had problems when I used to press the center coupling in with out using a spacer with a center hole to fit over the threads to keep from pressing against the threads. If you press againts the theads it can pinch the sides in enough to restriced against the refill. When that happens just take off the tranny and ream the coupling slightly with a 60 degree cutter. Try pushing the refill down without the tranny installed and see if there is any friction.

Last edited:

Drstrangefart

When I had those problems, I had to flip the spring over at the nib. Seems to be a directionally sensitive spring. Once I flipped it, problems stopped. That'd be the first thing I would do before trying anything else.

bluesguitar

Tried that thanks.

I do see that I shortened the tube a little bit with overzealous use of my new drill press so the refill extends too far and doesn't retract enough. Maybe tgat's part of the issue but in general I haven't been happy with this kit.

sbell111

Tried that thanks.

I do see that I shortened the tube a little bit with overzealous use of my new drill press so the refill extends too far and doesn't retract enough. Maybe tgat's part of the issue but in general I haven't been happy with this kit.
Here's the solution to that problem:

Unscrew the mechanism slightly and lock it in place with loctite. Locking these mechanisms down with loctite will also solve the problem of the mechanisms unscrewing when people are trying to twist out the refill.

bluesguitar

Steve-- The Loctite is a great approach, thanks.

Do you use the blue ("removable") Loctite or the red ("heavy duty") stuff?

Thanks,

Mitch

Top Bottom