PSI Chuck Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

davinci27

I'm looking to buy a chuck. I've settled on one of the PSI barracuda's, but I'm now trying to decide between the 2000 and the barracuda 2 3000. I know very little about chucks, but was wondering if you guys could make some suggestions. Right now my interest is primarily drilling on the lathe, but I'd like to move into small bowls in the future. I know the original barracuda has lever bars for clamping the chuck but how big a deal is actually putting it on the piece? Is there a difference in the holding power of the 2 chucks?

Thanks
Ben

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
I have both lever and the screw kind. The lever isn't really any more difficult once you get used to using it. As for the holding power they will both clamp down hard enough to hold your bowl.

markgum

I've used both and must say the 3000 is much easier to work with. Maybe I'm just clutzy, but trying to hold the piece and put the 2 bars in and push/pull them in opposite directions to tighten, I find I need a 3rd hand. Finally figured out a way to use the tool rest.

areaman

I have the original and have no problems holding materials and clamping. what sold me on it was the fact it came with an assortment of jaws. I have no regrets in buying it.

ldb2000

I have the Barracuda 2 and love it . The key makes it so much easier to chuck up your blanks . I have a "tommy bar" type (not that I use it very much anymore) chuck and found that it holds very tightly but it is more work to set up then the BC2 .

andyk

I bought the Barracuda2 at Amazon for $20 less than PSI wanted and got free shipping. I did end up buying another set of jaws from PSI. Actually a 2 jaw set for about $50. The chuck works great.

Top Bottom