PSI checkered flag blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fisherhahn

Hi All
I had purchased a total of 4 of these blanks to make some of their gear shift pens. Out of the 4 I got 3 have had bubbles in them. Normally not a big deal to me just fill with some ca and it can't be found. These bubbles are all right on the edge of the black/white transition and need to be filled white. Its odd to me that the bubbles seem to all be in the same place on each blank. I did not order them all at one time. I tried some white shavings and CA to fill but looks terrible. I have one guy waiting on one and I know if I get it figured out it will bring in more orders. Anyone has similar issues or any suggestions? I called PSI about the blanks and was given an email addrss to send my issue to. No response after about a month.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Burb

I have never been able to use more than a 1" piece or so of these blanks due to voids in the blanks. I quite buying them after 6-7 for this reason.

Reactions: Joe

magpens

Phone PSI and ask to speak to Tony in the Woodshop.

Emailing usually does not get any response at all.

Hi All
I had purchased a total of 4 of these blanks to make some of their gear shift pens. Out of the 4 I got 3 have had bubbles in them. Normally not a big deal to me just fill with some ca and it can't be found. These bubbles are all right on the edge of the black/white transition and need to be filled white. Its odd to me that the bubbles seem to all be in the same place on each blank. I did not order them all at one time. I tried some white shavings and CA to fill but looks terrible. I have one guy waiting on one and I know if I get it figured out it will bring in more orders. Anyone has similar issues or any suggestions? I called PSI about the blanks and was given an email addrss to send my issue to. No response after about a month.

WriteON

Phone PSI and ask to speak to Tony in the Woodshop.

Emailing usually does not get any response at all.

Hi All

If you don't get Tony...ask for Kim. I had checkered blanks with flaws..they where replaced without hesitation.

Burb

Back when I had my issues a couple years ago, I actually did a review and emailed them. Strangely the review was never to be seen on the PSI site, and I never got a reply email. I even followed up with a 2nd email. Too late for me, but I'd recommend you call as others have.

fisherhahn

Thanks for the replies. I could expect a flaw now and then, nothing's perfect. Obviously not a simple blank to make. Don't want them replaced because I'm guessing new ones will be the same. When people ask, I'm going to try to steer them to something else. They go great with the gear shift pens though...

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Make your own!

Take a black acrylic blank, and a white acrylic blank, cut them lengthwise, glue together. Use both halves and you will have two white and black lengths. Glue them together and you have one full length, black and white alternating. Now cut every quarter inch, rotate 90 degrees and glue.

It will be easy, just time consuming and you KNOW what you will encounter when you turn it.

Make pens and charge customers accordingly for your effort!!!

FWIW,
Ed

PSI Texas Flag Pen Blank

I just attempted my first acrylic pen turning blank, starting with the Texas Flag from PSI. Every time I turned one, I got these funny indentations on the pen blank-I thought it might be my technique or perhaps not turning at a high enough speed. I know believe this is caused by bubbles as this string as reported/discussed. So is this a common issue? Is it also a technique issue? Do all such acrylic pen blanks tend to have this problem. Very curious--thanks in advance.

WriteON

I just attempted my first acrylic pen turning blank, starting with the Texas Flag from PSI. Every time I turned one, I got these funny indentations on the pen blank-I thought it might be my technique or perhaps not turning at a high enough speed. I know believe this is caused by bubbles as this string as reported/discussed. So is this a common issue? Is it also a technique issue? Do all such acrylic pen blanks tend to have this problem. Very curious--thanks in advance.

Can you post some close ups. From my experience it can be technique or material. Could be either. I turned 2 of those blanks and got good results. Pursue the project...you'll get the problem worked out.... Let PSI know you're having issues...maybe they will replace them.

WELCOME ABOARD....are you ok in Texas?

Attachments

• IMG_5482.jpg
    IMG_5482.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Thank you. Yes OK, live on the coast south of Houston About 40 inches of rain, but high and dry. I will try again and send some pictures-didn't think about taking pictures of my first couple of tries.

Let us try this again

Tried again with modified technique-higher turning speed (3000) and skew rather than Easytool Ci5 finisher...same issues, although not as bad--
attached

image1.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image5.jpeg

photos for comments and guidance from those more experienced....

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Bubbles are usually round. Those are more likely chip-out.

Sorry, need more practice!

Ed

Touch is everything...and patience. When getting toward the finish...be more patient. Move like snail with airbrakes.

OR finalize with sandpaper!! NO ONE sees HOW you do it. With time and practice, you will become more confident and have better tool control.

ONE CAVEAT, if you have vibration in your set-up it will make success MUCH MORE DIFFICULT!!!!! Make sure your tailstock stays snug and use a short mandrel, ONE tube turning at a time.

GOOD LUCK--I once said it was IMPOSSIBLE-(1996ish) --then kept practicing!! Now, it's a "walk in the park".

Ed

fisherhahn

Yeah those are chip out. I actually wouldn't mind something like that because it is easy to fill with some CA and fix it. Every single one of mine was in the white butting up against the black. I think I did an OK job fixing. I dabbed white paint in and then filled with CA. Was able to hide them under the clips on the two I sold. I made sure to point out the flaws to my customers and reduced the price they agreed to. They both laughed and said I'm too hard on myself.

More4dan

I had similar issues with this blank. I turn close to diameter and finish sizing with sanding. I even got chip outs using a metal lathe and sturdy tool post with a sharp bit. So no issue with vibration or technique. Sure makes a great pen though.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Woodchipper

Good information here. I find it worthwhile to check various threads that address a particular issue. I'm still learning, even at my age. I find the members here are great at helping others. Thanks to all!

WriteON

Good information here. I find it worthwhile to check various threads that address a particular issue. I'm still learning, even at my age. I find the members here are great at helping others. Thanks to all!

I enjoy the willingness of everyone sharing their techniques. My impression of IAP is that this place rocks. The answers are straight, no sarcasm, bashing, no arguments as to what is the right and only way. Penturners is truly a dedicated forum. I'm still learning..and always will be. Always a new project and new problem to be solved. Thank's to all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom