PSI Center drilling jig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scooley01

Anyone else have issues with this not drilling in the center? I followed the instructions and clamped the vice onto the bit (I don't have a rod to use), and then clamped the jig to the table of the drill press. The hole is either slightly off-center, or occasionally drills at an angle through the blank somehow.

Am I doing something wrong?

witz1976

Depending on the drill bit you are using, ie. a 7mm for instance, you could be using too much pressure and it is slightly bowing the bit while you drill. Other possibilities is that the wood you are drilling has hard & soft spots and again you may be pressing too hard and the bit is following the softer spots.

Outside of this, not sure...what are you drilling, with which size bit. What speed?

ToddMR

I have the one from PSI and have nothing but great results. Make sure all the nuts are tight on the vise, they do loosen up with use. Also make sure you don't go super fast, let the bit do all the work. Also a dull bit can cause issues too. I have drilled countless blanks with great success. I still mark my blanks and line up the bit, I never need to move the vise itself.

Wildman

I always mark the center on turning blanks whether drilling on the lathe or drill press. Blanks not always perfectly square. Allows me to check alignment before drilling using drill bit.

Easier to fix alignment issues on the drill press because can move pen vice. On lathe will turn between centers using two prong and live center to takes care of blanks not square. Some folks use their four jaw or other chucks on lathe to drill.

I found slowing down drill press speed and clearing chips more often saves pen blanks.

Top Bottom