PSI C3J Mini Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Sorry, Mike, I don't have that particular PSI chuck. I have the CSC2000 and love it. I would imagine the quality to be about the same, but I'm not sure. The guys at Woodturningz handle all the PSI stuff so they might know. Give them a call and ask them if they have any experience with it. You can get it from them for less $$ as well.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I don't have first hand experiance with it... but I will tell you that it is nothing more than a cheap knockoff of a metal machinist's chuck and at best a real knuckle buster.... I would not put one of those on a wood lathe for love or money... wood lathe chucks are traditionally a 4 jaw chuck....

If you are looking for a chuck for your lathe I recommend the new Grizzly Chuck http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=h6265 It is a clone of the popular English Vicmarc chuck and takes all the Vicmarc jaw sets....
I know at least 5 people using it and they love it....

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by pipemaker
<br />Does anyone have any experience or opinions regarding this chuck?

Thanks,
Mike

If you meant the CMG3 Mini-Chuck from PSI, I have experience with it. I posted that experience some time back, it is below as a copy and paste. Essentially, the PSI chucks are well designed copies of the high-dollar European made ones. But, often, they can fall down in the quality control department. Read below:
&lt;&lt;I can't speak for the larter PSI chucks. But purchased, with great difficulty, one of their mini-chucks, the CMG3. After receiving and returning four defectives, I finally ended up with a good one. That last was double checked by the owner and their tech support guy. The first two were non-concentric (out of round), the next two were rusted and unusable. Oddly, there was a heavy coating of rust preventative over the rust. The design is good and I am satisfied with mine. But there is obviously quality control problems at their Chinese factory. Even though PSI picked up the shipping back and forth, the situation took months to resolve. If their others come from the same factory, you could be in for a bunch of dissapointment also. Or you might get lucky and get a good one. As for the Grizzly chucks. I have a large three jaw from them and hate it. It is designed for metal machine work and does not reposition even close to true with wood. And those big, really BIG, jaws spinning out there are hand cripplers, for sure, if you get hit. Can't speak for the others that have been mentioned.&gt;&gt;

alamocdc

Tom, I recently saw that chuck in my new catalog, but was unaware that the Vicmarc jaws would fit on it. Thanks for the update! [:)] That just cost me some more money and a certain someone isn't going to be happy about it. [:0]

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Tom, I recently saw that chuck in my new catalog, but was unaware that the Vicmarc jaws would fit on it. Thanks for the update! [:)] That just cost me some more money and a certain someone isn't going to be happy about it. [:0]

GEEEEZ... didn't anyone ever teach you anything...
You have it delivered to work... you keep it in the trunk of the car until she is not looking, sneak it into the shop... quickly put it on the lathe and get it covered with sawdust and stuff... then when she comes in and askes about it... you lie like the dickens and say... "HECK, I've had that forever... so and so gave it to me... "...

Then duck when she finds out the truth a little later... [:p][:p]

loglugger

I think PSI got there problem solved on the chucks. I ordered the 3418 and had to wait 3 months and in the meantime they changed it to CGU3418 with another set of jaws and a screw chuck. They were nice enough to charge the old price. Good out of the box and is working good.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by loglugger
<br />I think PSI got there problem solved on the chucks. I ordered the 3418 and had to wait 3 months and in the meantime they changed it to CGU3418 with another set of jaws and a screw chuck. They were nice enough to charge the old price. Good out of the box and is working good.

I found them very good to work with. During my CMG3 ordeal, I wanted to chuck (pun intended [:p] ) the whole deal but they really wanted to see to it I got a good chuck. So I stuck it out and on try #5 we hit quality. I'm sure this experience got back to the Chinese manufacturers with strong words about improving QC.

simplepens

I recently purchased this chuck and it has been good so far. It has performed well for me. A 4 jaw self centering chuck with 3 sets of jaws for 90 bucks...worth a shot. Mine was good out of the box. I just have to learn not to catch with my chisels and knock the wood out of the chuck![:D]

Fangar

That wouldn't work for me either, but at least I would be able to turn a nice helmet prior to being beat over the head with the chuck...[B)]

Fangar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom