Provo Display Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

Congratulations go out to several of our regular contributors, including:
Tom McMillan for his 2nd and 3rd place finishes in the 7mm category;
Wayne Swindlehurst for his 3rd place in the Open category and his 3rd place finish in the Collaboration category;
Ken Nelson for his 1st place finish in the Collaboration category;and
Rich Kleinhenz for his 2ndplace finish in the Collaboration category!

There were some other really stunning pens in there too, and all the contributors should be proud of their work (I know I'm jealous of it!)

Congrats again guys!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
From active IAP participants: a first, two seconds and three thirds! I'd say we held our own. Thanks to all of the participants for sharing your fine designs and workmanship and congratulations to all of the winners! Well done. [8D]

woodscavenger

Congrats everyone! Those are truly some amazing works of art. I will be waiting (not very patiently) for some details on a few of those pens.

Wayne, what type of wood for the statesman? What did you fabricate the trim ring from?

Richard, that tri-sided pen is stunning. What puts it in the collaboration category? What is it made from? Is that grain patterns I see or mini laminations? How did you do the tri-side thing?

It's hard to believe neither ti-pen from Bruce pulled a ribbon but I wasn't there to see the competition which obviously looked very stiff.

Daniel

A Big Thanks to the likes of Richard and others that started the display in the first place. once again it shows the bar has been raised in the creative arena of penturning. Fantastic work by all. and congrats to the top finishers.

driften

The pictures showed a LOT of talent! Everybody did a great job. I don't understand how Bruce's vanishing point fountain pen did not win or place!!!!

atvrules1

As one of those in Provo trying to decide which pens I liked the most, thought were best, etc. I can assure all that there were some phenomonal pens there, and every single one entered deserved to win. It was not an easy choice by any means. I just hope that some day my meager skills will be able to turn out something anywhere close.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Fantastic... Congratulations to all the winners and those that did not place...
Absolutely great pens. They are all pieces of art...
I see I have a lot of thinking, experimenting and work ahead of me this year if I plan to enter a pen for next year's Provo show...

Bob A

Looking at them pics I was in awe. Any pen could have won any catagory and I'd be hard pressed to argue with the results. Congratulations to all the winners and finishers.

PenWorks

Great pens there! Congrats to all that entered and the good showing from the IAP crowd. Now get busy working on your pens for next year. Time flies [:p]

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />Richard, that tri-sided pen is stunning. What puts it in the collaboration category? What is it made from? Is that grain patterns I see or mini laminations? How did you do the tri-side thing?
Shane,
it was in the coll. category because it is a collaboration between Ken Nelsen and me. It's still in beta phase, we have a proof of concept, but it has a way to go yet. Bruce Boone and I were chatting, solide modeling, and CNC and stuff, and he had an idea of how to do arbitrary shapes w/o CNC. This led to theat pen - what I had in the display was the seond iteration that actually worked quite nicely. I'll make a better write-up in a while. The pen is designed on the computer, as a 3D model. You can see the computer model, fully rendered, at http://tinyurl.com/dm7py (remember it's a drawing, not a real pen!) I let the computer generate cross sections, send the file to Ken Nelsen along with thin wood slabs I crosscut on the tablesaw, and Ken cuts out the shapes with the laser. I stack the disks on a tube, sand, make a little cove-cut at the ends, and that's it in a nutshell. Here are 2 more photos of the pen
http://tinyurl.com/ba5ax
http://tinyurl.com/776wg
It's a fun concept, and once we got something that works and is a somewhat tolerant design, Ken will probably put out a kit.

PenWorks

Originally posted by scubaman
<br />
Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />Richard, that tri-sided pen is stunning. What puts it in the collaboration category? What is it made from? Is that grain patterns I see or mini laminations? How did you do the tri-side thing?
, and that's it in a nutshell.

Yep , that's it. That's all there is to it. Molding, computer generated model, thinly cut slabs within .001, laser cut outs.
I think I'll just go down in the shop and whip one out tonight, since that's all there is to it. LOL [:D] [:eek:)] [:D]

I did actually have it in my hands, and it is 10 times nicer than it looks in a photo!

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
I just want to add a quick comment on the display. This is not the Olympics, it's neither a competition nor drawn along association lines. Individual artists enter pens to show off what they can do, and what pen turning is evolving into. Comment from Dick Sing (pretty verbatim): "Compared to when I wrote those books - this stuff is light-years ahead!" That's from a guy that helped popularize penturning. And he is absolutely right. Even compared to the 1st Rendezvous and the display we had then. New techniques getting applied (I don't want to say 'invented' because a lot of this exists in other art forms), people getting new inspirations all the time - this was a great showing. And we got plenty more appreciateive comments from others like Kip Christensen adnd Rex Burningham.

When we did the first one 2 years ago, we debated awarding prizes. I don't regret it, I think it helps get people submitting entries, but I would not want this to turn completely competitive!

And one last comment: Roughly half of the votes came from pen turners, the other half from woodturners in the instant gallery where we had the display on Thursday and Friday. I loved seeing Bruce Boone's pens in there, but being (obviously) metal-machine-made they probably had little chance of getting sufficient votes for an award. So if a Rendezvous comes together in 2006, if you want to affect the votes - be there [:)]

btboone

Thanks for the support guys. I appreciate it. I figured I'd be an outsider in the woodturners gallery, but I thought I'd give it a shot. I too am working on a pen that's similar in concept, but not looks to Rich's lasered lamination pen. (LLP) It's made of wood. (Although it's still not turned!)[:I]

PenWorks

Shane, Rich made some eight sided pens on a pen mill, look in his album at the PMG. Those came out really well too. I had never seen one. But it is a rotarty mill that you cut with a rotary tool and has indexing. They are no longer available. Virgil has one to, but doesn't know how to work it. LOL [:D]

Chuck Key

Originally posted by scubaman
<br />So if a Rendezvous comes together in 2006, if you want to affect the votes - be there [:)]

Rich,

Does the Rendezvous need to occur at the Provo event? Could it be held at the 2006 AAW in Louisville next June for example?

Chuckie

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
Originally posted by penworks
Yep , that's it. That's all there is to it. Molding, computer generated model, thinly cut slabs within .001, laser cut outs.
I think I'll just go down in the shop and whip one out tonight, since that's all there is to it. LOL [:D] [:eek:)] [:D]
Well, it's not for everybody, obviously. Just like not everyone can design a fountain pen from a scratch. But once it's all dialed in, I see not reason why Joe Bloe could not pick up a kit and with a little care build a pen built on these ideas
I did actually have it in my hands, and it is 10 times nicer than it looks in a photo!
Actually, you handled the 'alpha' version! Beta was never out of the case when you saw it, as far as I know. Neither one was 'finished' - just polished. But I must say when the 1st one went together I was also quite taken with the look. And that look, if you want, is easy to achieve on a round blank, no laser cutting or design involved!

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Chuck Key
Does the Rendezvous need to occur at the Provo event? Could it be held at the 2006 AAW in Louisville next June for example?
There's a lot of good reasons to have it in Provo, adjunct to the Utah Woodturning Symposium. You'd be amazed how much work actually goes into setting it up, and how much uncertainty the 1st event without a budget in a new location 2 years ago was. Chances are we'll stick with Provo. At least for now

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
Originally posted by penworks
<br />But it is a rotarty mill that you cut with a rotary tool and has indexing. They are no longer available.[:D]

That shouldn't stop you ;-) There are 2 commercial jigs our there thatI believe can do these. You can also add an indexing plate to our lathe, build a sled for a small router and have at it. Didn't Paul Huffman design an indexer? I have a rather vague recollection of seeing that somewhere. Straight flutes or facets are just a question of bit selection.

PenWorks

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />Who in the world are Brian and Mark Gisi??? Those guys can turn out a beautiful pen!!!

BTW, I didn't see any cartridge pens pictured.....how come??
they are from the PMG. Their work is amazing, not sure if they inlay or do glue up segments, but whatever they do it is fantastic stuff, Until you screw the cap off and see a standard front section and a steel nib. [V]

There were no shell casing pens because Eagle did not send any in for the display.

Rifleman1776

OK, I'm gonna be a killjoy on this thread. Understanding that I'm almost as opinionated as that Texas guy [:p], I try to avoid posting negative comments. But this gushing over the winners of the Provo event has pushed me to the edge. Now, I'll admit that my taste in what a good-looing pen should be may be vastly different than others. In comments I will compliment some pens as being 'classy' or 'elegant'. That's what I like. But some of the Provo 'winners' are, in my eyes, downright ugly and bizzare. For example the 1st Place pen in the 7mm category by Mark Gisi fits that "ugly and bizzare" definition perfectly. (repeat: IMHO) I heartily acknowledge that it does demonstrate the very highest levels of ingenuity, skill and craftsmanship. But the total picture looks like an explosion in a fruit cannery. Too much of everything, too busy, colors, shapes, etc. just don't blend with others. Reminds me of Frankenstien. It works, but the assemblage of parts just isn't right. Mark, you are probably a fine guy but you make Picasso's work look understandable.

2005620224729_04.jpg
<br />

PenWorks

Frank, your not being a kill joy. It just happens not to be to your liking and I assume if you were there, you would not have voted for it. That's why we see such a diversity of pens. If we all made the same looking maple slim line pens, it would be a pretty dull world. The display did show a variety of pens and styles, I wish more people would have sent in something, as it is not meant to be a contest per say, but we are all competetive in nature and want to see someone rewarded for their efforts. I suggest you should send something for next year, maybe something "classy or ellegant" [:D]

timdaleiden

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br /> For example the 1st Place pen in the 7mm category by Mark Gisi fits that "ugly and bizzare" definition perfectly. (repeat: IMHO) I heartily acknowledge that it does demonstrate the very highest levels of ingenuity, skill and craftsmanship. But the total picture looks like an explosion in a fruit cannery. Too much of everything, too busy, colors, shapes, etc. just don't blend with others. Reminds me of Frankenstien. It works, but the assemblage of parts just isn't right. Mark, you are probably a fine guy but you make Picasso's work look understandable.

I couldn't disagree more Frank. I think it all works. The shape, the materials, everything. I can see where someone might consider it too busy, but ugly and bizarre????

Oh well, we all see things a little differently.

Rifleman1776

I'll stick with my stated opinions. The anologys of a fruit cannery explosion and understated with comparison to a Picasso painting are not far afield, in my eyes. Even the shape looks clunky to me. I'm not trying to be hateful but, to me, it truly looks ugly and bizzare. I did state, and continue to compliment the maker for the quality of craftsmanship. I cannot do 100th as well. Essentially, it reminds me of the old-fashioned girls cross-stitch sampler. Useful for nothing but a demonstration of her abilities to sew and stitch. This Gisi pen is just that, a sampler and demonstration of his obvious extraordinary talents.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
All of the pens posted create a reaction! GREAT!

The guys and gals who went to the effort to produce these unusual offerings raise the bar for those of us who have turned "bushing to bushing" ala Dick Sing's teachings.

Thanks to all the contributors for opening my mind's eye to new ideas (some of which I won't use, but YOU might). This is what will keep penmaking progressing.

Congratulations to all who went to the trouble to submit, and Thank-you!

Chuck Key

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />I'll stick with my stated opinions. The anologys of a fruit cannery explosion and understated with comparison to a Picasso painting are not far afield, in my eyes. Even the shape looks clunky to me. I'm not trying to be hateful but, to me, it truly looks ugly and bizzare. I did state, and continue to compliment the maker for the quality of craftsmanship.

After going through all the display submissions did you see any you liked? Just for kicks, of the entries you liked if any, which one would get your vote?

Chuckie

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
No comment but I would like to know if I can use that expression about he explosion at a fruit cannery.
That is a HOOT!
You mind if I use it?
yellowlaugh.gif
yellowlaugh.gif
yellowlaugh.gif
yellowlaugh.gif
yellowlaugh.gif

yellowlaugh.gif
yellowlaugh.gif
yellowlaugh.gif
yellowlaugh.gif
yellowlaugh.gif

yellowlaugh.gif
yellowlaugh.gif
yellowlaugh.gif
yellowlaugh.gif
yellowlaugh.gif

yellowlaugh.gif
yellowlaugh.gif
yellowlaugh.gif
yellowlaugh.gif
yellowlaugh.gif

yellowlaugh.gif
yellowlaugh.gif
yellowlaugh.gif
yellowlaugh.gif
yellowlaugh.gif

yellowlaugh.gif
yellowlaugh.gif
yellowlaugh.gif
yellowlaugh.gif
yellowlaugh.gif

bgisi

"For example the 1st Place pen in the 7mm category by Mark Gisi fits that "ugly and bizzare" definition perfectly."

Excellent dialog! I have been turning pens for a couple years now and I have yet to create the perfect pen that is loved by all. But rest assured, I will keep trying! My guess is Mark will as well.

I also believe a little competition is good for the hobby and good for the soul. No sense riding the pine next year. Send something in and give us all a taste of "class and elegance".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom