Proud new owner of a General Maxi-Lathe VS+

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Younka

So I started off turning pens with some cheaply built, bad quality Craftsman Lathe, so I decided to spend the money that I have made from selling pens to get the General Maxi-Lathe and WOW do I love it. I made my first pen today using it and it turned way nicer and I finished it way faster! So I Recommend that if you're looking to get a new lathe or get your first lathe don't cheap out getting the $250 lathe, just spend a bit more and buy a better quality one!!:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Be warned!!!

As I have one too that I purchased less than a year ago. Double check your spindle pulley set screws make sure they are tight.
My had major issues Look at these pictures.
though I replaced it about a month or so ago, it started to make serious grinding noise. so I am now waiting on a replacement lathe. hope it makes it before the end of the month.
I have a good feeling that by mid year my general will be put to use as a buffing station. as I will get a Nova DVR-XP

That I hope you will have much better service that I got.

Younka

Hmmm, well that sure scares me a lot! I really hope I don't have any problems with it at all, the store I bought it from said they have never had a bad complaint about it, but I guess you can always trust the store!
Be warned!!!

As I have one too that I purchased less than a year ago. Double check your spindle pulley set screws make sure they are tight.
My had major issues Look at these pictures.
though I replaced it about a month or so ago, it started to make serious grinding noise. so I am now waiting on a replacement lathe. hope it makes it before the end of the month.
I have a good feeling that by mid year my general will be put to use as a buffing station. as I will get a Nova DVR-XP

That I hope you will have much better service that I got.

SCR0LL3R

That's the lathe I have. I really like it but don't have anything to compare it to since it was my first. I've only had it for about 9 months now and made about 200 pens but so far it's completely problem free.

SCR0LL3R

My reason for getting it over the Delta is simply because I have more faith in General International. They have been around a long time, still have some products made in Canada (not the 'International' series) and they have a pretty good reputation.

Delta had a good rep. as well but they have changed hands several times which includes passing through the hands of Black & Decker/Stanley Tools which can ruin any product and I have heard many horror stories of customer service. Now they are sold again but, for now at least, still being serviced (if you can call it that) by Black & Decker.

Through all of this however, I have never heard anything bad about the 46-460.

Top Bottom