Protecting Spalted Apple Root

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I just dug up a few feet of the main root of a dead apple tree. It is dead wood, but is thoroughly wet from our recent rains. To see what it looked like, I cut up some into 2 1/2 by 2 1/2 by 7 inch blocks. It is truly nice wood, I'll post a picture as soon as FedEx delivers my camera and I learn how to use it. Do I need to seal the ends of the blocks to prevent checking even though it is dead wood?

Any input will be appreciated.

William

tipusnr

I would. Even though the wood is "dead" moisture will still leave the end grain faster than it will through the side. (Something about science...really wish I'd stayed awake in that class!!)

I don't think there is an immediate need however as there must be a LOT of water if your weather is anything like here in the Columbus area.

Daniel

Bill
checking doesn't have to do with the wood being dead, It has to do with it not drying evenly. as the ends dry the middle still stays moister and the grain in the wood is expanded deferently at various points. like putting a flame to glass. the glass gets hot at one point and the hot spot expands shattering the whole thing. wood just shatters a little differently. end grain gives up the moister much faster than the other sides do. sealing it just evens out the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom