Pronghorn horns for turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

A friend is giving me some horn from a Pronghorn, referred to as antelope, but actually not an antelope. The horn is apparently hair, maybe like water buffalo horn. Has anyone ever tried turning this stuff? I know soaking water buffalo horn in water for several hours before turning is recommended, so should I do the same thing with this stuff?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

If they are shed they are antler which is really bone and if not shed they are horn and made from the same material as hair and fingernails. I've turned river buffalo without soaking and it did just fine. The buffalo horn did smell worse that antler. Good luck and let us know how it does.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by gerryr
<br />A friend is giving me some horn from a Pronghorn, referred to as antelope, but actually not an antelope. The horn is apparently hair, maybe like water buffalo horn. Has anyone ever tried turning this stuff? I know soaking water buffalo horn in water for several hours before turning is recommended, so should I do the same thing with this stuff?

Efletche

I have turned some bovine horn, which is like hair too. They smell horrible when you turn them and after frequent use, the pens begin to smell too and the smell doesn't go away.

Scott

Hi Gerry,

I have never tried turning any. I have had some around, and it really doesn't look like it would hold up to turning. I think the composition is a lot closer to hair than a lot of other "horn" examples. If you do decide to try thes, please let us know how it turned out.

Scott.

Fearless

gerryr,
I have a couple and I dont really think there is much there to use.
They are basically just a shell.

If they are shed they are antler which is really bone and if not shed they are horn and made from the same material as hair and fingernails.

Don,
Antelope have a small "antler" that is bone that is not shed.
The part that you can see covers this "antler" and is comprised of "hair" (horn) and is shed yearly.

Someone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but this is the way I see it.

HTH

laspringer

The antelope horns around here are very porous in the middle, much more than the middle of a large antler. I think that the antelope horns are much like big horn sheep, when they dry out the hard outside of the horn will pull off. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom