Prom Giveaway

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cowchaser

Looking for some pen ideas for a prom giveaway. My oldest daughter is going to the prom this year and my wife is on the prize group. Basically they have been to all of the business people in town and gathered up whatever they would give. Due to the large number of kids they are short a few and my wife volunteered me. Now I don't make pens to sale or anything, I just do it for me if you know what I mean.

I need 4 pens with a value of about 35.00 each. I was thinking 2 barons(boys) and 2 sierras(girls). Not sure if they should be wood acrylic or a mix of both. Any suggestions or other pen ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BrentK

Both are very nice kits and make a nice pen. I would make them out of one of the blanks some of the guys around the forum make that are wood with acrylic. They always have some very nice blanks for sale or contact one of them and maybe they can do a special blank for you.

BrentK

Karl makes a wonderful blank if you look at my photos you will see the sierra with the red on it is Karls blank so it the purple and gold one. The other is a Cancun blank very nice also. I cant remember who makes it sorry I am sure someone will chime in.

warreng8170

Originally posted by cowchaser

Not sure if they should be wood acrylic or a mix of both. Any suggestions or other pen ideas?

Maybe you could find someone who makes an acrylic that looks similar to the school colors?

-wg

cowchaser

Good ideas as usual I see. I will voluneer Karl to do it also. He can make the pens for the prom and pay me back for the dress, shoes, nails, tanning and hair. Seems going to prom cost about as much as my entire wedding did.

rlharding

I would make the pens the same kit. I don't know about anything that would make young women prefer the Sierra and young men the Baron. And don't be concerned that you haven't sold any; that doesn't mean they are any less quality just because you give them away.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I agree to a degree. If you want to make 2 kits thats fine, but each couple should get matching pen types.

Then you need to think about the school colors or other things about the school like the mascot or name or town name and see if there is something there to inspire you.

Another thing to think about is if a local engraving business will donate the use of their engraver to put the school logo or prom date or some such in theme engraving on the pen.

You could also just go with a black and white theme or a pink and blue theme.

Do you know which kids will get your pens? If so find out if they have favorite colors.

cowchaser

Don't know which ones will get them. It is random drawings held throughout the night to try and keep the kids at the dance instead of leaving for a party or other activity (I know mine better not leave). School theme seems like a good idea (dark blue and red). We do have a local engraver here I possibly could get to go in with me and engrave them (nice idea).

RonSchmitt

Originally posted by warreng8170

Not sure if they should be wood acrylic or a mix of both. Any suggestions or other pen ideas?

Maybe you could find someone who makes an acrylic that looks similar to the school colors?

-wg
Check with ED4COPIES / PRPRINCESS for school colors

IPD_Mrs

Both kits are good kits but seems a little skewed with the guys getting rollerballs and the gals getting ballpoints. Here is a variation to ponder....
Gals get Sierras and the guys get Vistas...
Use acrylics and segment them to match the school colors. If for example the colors are blue and gold make it half and half and the top half of the vistas are blue and the top half of the sierras are gold.

If you had a little more time the school name or mascot laser engraved in them would be good too.

Anyway just a little something to ponder.

Mike

cowchaser

I see what everyone is saying about guys getting the barons and girls sierras. To be honest I never thought of it that way (roller vs. ballpoint). I was just going from experience of those I have given away. Just seemed like that women always went for the smaller sierra compared to a larger baron and just the opposite for guys. I think I will just make all barons and all will be happy. :) Don't want someone feeling cheated.

See this is why I come here. Someone always willing to help.

jeffj13

Dustin,

I admire your willingness to make pens for the prom.

However, as father to a high school senior who has two of my pens somewhere in the bottom of a drawer and a college senior who can't even find the pens I have made for him, I'm not sure that this is an age group who truly appreciates a fine pen.

Should the reaction your pens receive be less than stellar, don't let that diminish the joy you get from giving them.

jeff

Hello

Turn a baron...........then turn a slimline so that its shaped like the baron(top half bigger than bottom half)....of course the slimline will still have the ink coming from its normal place....but that would make them "matching" better.

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by Dan_F

2/3 to 1/3 will look better than 1/2 and 1/2. It's a composition thing.

Dan

Dan you are correct they will look better, but what I was thinking of is in most cases one color is generally prominant over the other one. So if the blue is prominant over the gold, then the pens with more gold than blue would look funny as far as trying to stay within the school colors theme.

Dustin has said that he was going to go with all Barons. With that decission I would opt for the primary color on the cap and the secondary color on the nib end. Barons are postable and if the kids post the cap when writing then the primary color will always be on top.

Mike

Russianwolf

leaving for a party or other activity (I know mine better not leave).

[jest mode] Don't worry, I'll have her back by 3AM...... Promise! ;) [/jest mode]

I remember when my daughter went to her senior prom. I don't think they had anything like this. But her school had about 500 seniors as I recall. That's a lot of party favors.

I like the school colors idea, I did some Clemson blanks that were mostly orange (padauk), with a stripe of purple and white (purpleheart and maple) going diagonally through both barrels. they look pretty good in my opinion.

egerm

I was thinking of giving the guy that is taking my eldest daughter to the prom one of those 3006 casing pens.(Just something for him to think about.):D[}:)]:D

Top Bottom