project for veterans

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

I haven't visited the forum for quite a while as my time has gone directions other than penturning. I still to do some so haven't abandoned the avocation or this forum.
Our local woodturning club has begun a project that I am very excited about and am trying to support. I'm just passing the idea on in hopes others may pick up on it and do the same. BTW, for the record, I used to belong to the club but dropped out because of scheduling conflicts but I still support them. Good club.
The club is roughing out pens and inserting the tubes. They then take the unfinished kits to the VA hospital and long term care facility in Little Rock, Arkansas. There the vets are turning and finishing the pens. Because of VA rules the vets must use only special turning tools that are not real sharp. What those are is a puzzlment to me at this point. The club has provided a couple mini lathes and others have been privately donated. One club member, a very ingenious guy, designed a lathe stand that can be accessed by someone in a wheelchair. Reports are it is a wildly successful project. The vets love it. Previously their days were filled with sitting and staring at the walls or tv.
I heard about it and volunteered to stabilize blanks for the club. I have stabled quite a few hundred. Most are spalted box elder which was quite soft and, otherwise, unsuitable for anything. With stabilizing they are making for some very pretty and unique pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NCwoodworker1

Great Idea

Many thanks to you and the whole group for helping the vets.

Any chance of seeing a picture of the lathe stand that works with a wheelchair. I have a friend that is nearly wheelchair bound and it would really help him.

boatemp

Pens for vets

I'm a member of the AL and we have a Vets Home in Napa. I'll try and pass this idea along.
thanks for thinking of the all the guys that gave.
"ALL GAVE SOME, SOME GAVE ALL"

sbwertz

For some of our blind turners, we use an "80 grit gouge." It is a 1" wide piece of wood about a quarter of an inch thick with a piece of 80 grit sandpaper glued to one side and 120 grit on the other. We drill, tube and turn the blanks round, then they use the sandpaper to shape the blank. It works best with fairly soft woods.

Sabaharr

As a disabled vet that has spent some quality time in a hospital recuperating I can tell you that they appreciate this. I know I would have. Keep up the fantastic work and thank you for making the trying times of my brothers less of a burden to bear. I know they appreciate it more than you can possibly realize.

Jimmykoko2

Frank. My father is a wood carver in Mountain Home. He recently sent me a newspaper article on what the club is doing for the VA. My hats off to you! I'm close. In Branson.

Top Bottom