Process recommendations needed (and a thank you)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rob77

First, a quick thank you.. Over the past few months, I've asked some questions on this board and the tips that I've received here really helped me a ton. I had zero woodworking knowledge when I started turning pens back in August yet I was able to meet my goal of completing 6 pens to give as Christmas presents this year. There's room for improvement but I'm proud of the ones that I'm giving as gifts. Thank you again!

About that room for improvement.. I need some recommendations on a couple of things:

1. a better chuck for my lathe (for holding the pen blanks while I drill the hole). I know these get pretty expensive but I think I realize the benefits now when it comes to chuck quality.

2. A quality barrel trimmer set. The adjustable hexnut thing is stripped in the one I have. Also, the 7mm guide bit would yank out the brass tube in my slimline pens, even after applying some lubricant. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I suspect the cheap barrel trimmer kit is at least part of the problem. **Or if you recommend using a sander to square the blanks, what kind of squaring jig are you using? I tried to do this by hand after the barrel trimmer/slimline issues but wasn't able to do this very well.

3. Please recommend some pen kits that you guys have had success with. I've done slimline, cigar and American standard.

Thanks and Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to all!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ChrisN

I have a dedicated pen blank drilling chuck from PSI, and I also have a Barracuda 2. You could also get the blank drilling jaws for the Barracuda if you don't want 2 chucks.

Last edited:
About the best and most versital chuck is the Nova G3. the cheapest place to buy one is Craigslist if you can find one, or Amazon.
I would forget about using a barrel trimmer, get make a sander jig. There are plans somewhere in IAP.
As far as pen kits go, it depends on what you want to do or what your customers want. Try some that are offered by other members of IAP, they are almost always cheaper than buying retail even with the shipping. And you'll be helping other IAP members. After that try the venders that list on the IAP site. They will help you out no matter what your question is!

turncrazy43

Try some of Exotic blanks Zodiac and ZapCap pens. I thinks you will find them interesting and well made. Ditto on the Nova 3 chuck and the PSI 1" pen blank drilling chuck if you do your drilling on the lathe, my 02.

walshjp17

About the best and most versital chuck is the Nova G3.

I second this recommendation. Teknatool makes the Nova G3 chucks and they sell refurbished chucks on their website at a handsome discount. RECONDITIONED NOVA G3 Wood Turning Chuck - Teknatool USA Inc

For pen jaws, I recommend the Nova Pen Plus jaws ($39.95 - possibly less expensive elsewhere).NOVA Pen Plus Jaw Set

For sanding in lieu of barrell trimming, try using a wood faceplate on your lathe with sandpaper affixed and a Jacobs chuck in your tailstock with a appropriately sized punch bar from a pen disassembly punch set Pen Disassembly Punch Set: Arizona Silhouette Usually, they are less expensive at Harbor Freight.

As far as kits go there are as many recommendations as there are members here. Other than the ones you've already mastered, start with the classics: European/Designer, Sierra/LeRoi/Wall Street II series, or any of the single barrel pens offered by PSI, Wood Craft, Berea or the vendors here at the IAP site. Check out the Deals, Trades and Wants section of the IAP Marketplace. Members often post sales of kits they no longer need.

PeetyInMich

Part of the barrel trimmer issue may be glue left in the tube, it can cause friction, causing heat, and softening of the glue holding the tube in. I have also had issues with some trimmers "turning" (instead of cutting away) the brass into the gap between the top of the trimmer shaft and the bottom of the blades.

Rob77

For sanding in lieu of barrell trimming, try using a wood faceplate on your lathe with sandpaper affixed and a Jacobs chuck in your tailstock

Question on the Jacobs chuck thing.. Could I use my drill chuck as a substitute for a Jacobs chuck? Or would a Jacobs chuck work better (and if so, how)? Thanks.

walshjp17

A Jacobs chuck is a drill chuck. As long as you have a morse taper that fits in your tail stock, your drill chuck will work.

AngryRhino

Just FYI -- the Supernova 2 is on sale at Woodcraft right now for $119 (normally $199.) This is a pretty fantastic deal.

I just scooped one up, and am quite happy with it. Also, if you go with the Supernova, it would cover you if you ever upgraded to turn larger sized pieces.

Last edited:

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
I've used the Nova G3 for about 2 years. Its a nice chuck, would like for it to open as wide as my One way. I used it for drilling pen blanks and started using it for a few bowls. Nova has a nice setup with accessory jaws interchanging on various Nova chuck models.

Joe S.

You will not regret getting a collet chuck, they are great! I have a mini drive center to round the blanks before drilling. You can also face the ends of the blank on the lathe with a turning tool. Just true the blank to the tube (round it again), put it in the collet, cut it to the tube, and flip it around and do the other side! You still need to watch for glue inside the tube though, I clean it out with a drill bit. Hope this helps.

sbell111

Part of the barrel trimmer issue may be glue left in the tube, it can cause friction, causing heat, and softening of the glue holding the tube in. I have also had issues with some trimmers "turning" (instead of cutting away) the brass into the gap between the top of the trimmer shaft and the bottom of the blades.

Glue in the tube should not cause a barrel trimmer with a properly sized pilot shaft to yank the tube out. These items are actually made to remove this glue.

From my experience, what causes barrel trimmers to yank out tubes is rushing the process. If you mill the blank prior to the glue being fully cured, the tube can get yanked out. Another possible cause is a tube that wasn't not properly prepared prior to being glued in.

I use a nova g3 also and I never use a mill for squaring anymore. I made a 5" sanding jig for the lathe using a bowl faceplate on the back. I got velcro at Home Depot and added the hook part to the sanding pad. I use 5" velcro held disks. I then do my rough sanding out at the edge of the disk then use Harbor Freight punches in a jacobs chuck to get things just so. I don't miss the pen mills a bit.

Rob77

I use a nova g3 also and I never use a mill for squaring anymore. I made a 5" sanding jig for the lathe using a bowl faceplate on the back. I got velcro at Home Depot and added the hook part to the sanding pad. I use 5" velcro held disks. I then do my rough sanding out at the edge of the disk then use Harbor Freight punches in a jacobs chuck to get things just so. I don't miss the pen mills a bit.

I'm going to try this (especially the Velcro thing).

I ordered a Nova G3 today...I wanted to go ahead and buy it in 2013 before my "save money" resolution kicks in on Wednesday. Also ordered a punch set. Looking forward to fine tuning my process.

Rob77

From my experience, what causes barrel trimmers to yank out tubes is rushing the process. If you mill the blank prior to the glue being fully cured, the tube can get yanked out. Another possible cause is a tube that wasn't not properly prepared prior to being glued in.

I think you are on to something. I don't think I rushed the curing (waited overnight) but I might've not used enough glue and/or not scuffed the tubes well enough.

Jim Burr

Banned
Think ahead a bit and look for a chuck that will cover what you need for a long time. I use a SN2 referb and a Barracuda. Dedicated "Pen Jaws" are a complete waste of money since, if you have a chuck...you have jaws...you can drill!! This is predetermined on you having a Jacobs chuck and bits. I can send you pictures that prove you have no need for "Pen Jaws". Save your $$ and buy kits or blanks.

stonepecker

in the Library there are some videos that show you how to square a blank to the brass.....simple and very easy to make. Cheap also using your lathe. Willing to bet you have everything you need already.

Top Bottom