Problems with Xcut woods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jckossoy

Today I was making a pen for my nephew's b-day (He ended up with a Patriot made from Maccasar Ebony which he thought was cool:D) and I blew out 2 Xcut Black Limba blanks:(. Any help on how to turn a Xcut blank. I've been using my gouge and going as slow as I could, but after I either get it fully rounded or partially rounded, the blanks fly apart.

Thanks,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

Somehow, it seems you're catching the grain. That's usually a dull tool or too aggressive a cut (or both). Whether using a gouge or a skew try riding the bevel more. I've even seen turners use a scraping cut after getting it to round to stay away from catching the end grain but I've never tried it to any extent nor had any of the older turners endorse it.

Sorry, but its the best advise I have to offer!

G

Sharp tools are a must and it would hurt to stabilize it with a little thin CA as you go
ADDED
Just out of curiosity.HAave you checked the portion of the tube under the blow out for glue?
I mean is there a visable residue of glue left on the tube?
In most instances where I have had a blow out i have found that I didn't get good coverage.
You might try plugging the end of the tube with wax or potato(depending in which state you live) and applying glue inside the blank on troublesome woods/materials.
That might solve part of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom