problems while squaring blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VotTak

Hi there,
I am very new to this hobby, so sorry for this question.
While I'm trimming blank with tube I use 7mm Basic Barrel Trimmer: Steel Cutter from PSI. It works fine but there is a small piece of brass which is not being trimmed. Is there some tool to remove that excess? Currently I'm trying to remove it by using drill bit or knife, but it should be something better.
Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Hi. It would help if we can see a picture. Is the excess brass protruding from the blanks material or is it inside the tube itself?

wyone

hmmm when I use the barrel trimmer ( I mostly sand anymore) I never cut into the brass. It takes some practice and a light touch, but the blank should be basically even with the end of the brass without removing any of the brass. I do it very lightly and check often until I basically get a POLISH on the brass, but without actually cutting into it. Once I see the trimmer has touched and polished the brass, I am done. I admit I probably check more often than most, but I want to make sure not to alter the overall length of the tube or the pen. With some click type pens, the length can be critical.

I switched to sanding when I had an issue with chipping out some blanks that I made out of various items for the PITH contests. I do not regret that change at all. I feel that I get a much better fit and finish on my pens with by sanding. Just my experiences, but I am sure others will vary. :)

VotTak

Let me be more specific. It only happened twice as when I'm trimming blanks I check very often and as soon as I see brass I stop. But It happened to me that I moved drill press and did not put working lamp on place and I trimmed slightly more into the brass itself. And I saw internal wall of brass is being higher than the cut.
So definitely it is completely my fault with not being accurate in setting my working place(BTW I learn a very good lesson - whatever you do - do not be in hurry, go slow) but the blank with a tube is still workable and usable.

Olsarge

I think that maybe you have allowed the cutter to slip on the shaft of the trimmer and are cutting the wood, but the tube is going under the cutter. check to make sure that the cutter edges are even with the very small raised ring on the trimmer. FWIW. Dennis

VotTak

I think that maybe you have allowed the cutter to slip on the shaft of the trimmer and are cutting the wood, but the tube is going under the cutter. check to make sure that the cutter edges are even with the very small raised ring on the trimmer. FWIW. Dennis
That is correct, tube is going under the cutter(partially, but still a problem). I do not have such a problem with other trimmer, as other trimmer has cutting edge right next to the shaft, just this one 7mm. Thanks for responses everyone. The problem is identified... Which is me and trimmer. Now, I'm looking for something to correct mistake.
Deburring tool(as on link) will probably help. Although I thought that there are deburring tools like drill bits that would probably help as well.

Cavediver

Deburring tool(as on link) will probably help. Although I thought that there are deburring tools like drill bits that would probably help as well.

I use one made by Forster (originally purchased for reloading). It's much sharper than any of the deburring / chamfering tools I've bought for wood or general metal work; two or three light twists do the trick. This particular tool allows me to deburr the outside of a tube as well as the inside; something I've already found useful when cutting my own replacements from longer stock.

At this point I think you might have the best outcome by lightly sanding away the protruding brass flush with the blank (disk sander or belt sander, make sure your blank face is square to the disk/belt using a miter gauge or sled), then lightly deburr inside the tube.

VotTak

I use one made by Forster (originally purchased for reloading).

That is what I was looking for. Appreciate this one.

Sanding will work as well although it seems like that tool above will be less time consuming.

Cavediver

That is what I was looking for. Appreciate this one.

Sanding will work as well although it seems like that tool above will be less time consuming.

Sure thing. It's great as a deburring tool, but I've not tried to remove any length with it; that may be better left to another tool or technique.

If you've got a spare face plate hanging around, you could put sandpaper on it and make a temporary sanding disk. Using the appropriate punch in a Jacobs chuck in your tailstock will help you keep it square to the face. The brass would have to be real close to flush for this to work, otherwise it'll just chew through that spot on the sandpaper.

randyrls

I saw internal wall of brass is being higher than the cut.

Stepan; Brass will some times get between the cutter and the pilot tube when using 7mm tubes. This causes the effect you see. It is easy to remove. I was going to give you a photo of a deburring tool, but can't find one. It looks like a center with 6 or so cutting edges on it. Normally sold for reloading ammunition cartridges.

lwalper

Ditto what has gone before, but you might wait to trim that little dab of brass sticking out until after the finish has been applied. If you're using a CA finish there's always a bit that sticks to the bushings and leaves a little burr of CA sticking out over the end of the piece as well. My solution is a bit of 400 grit sand paper laid flat on the table (or lathe ways) and carefully lightly sand away that little bit of CA glue and brass. It only takes a couple of seconds and a few light passes and you're done. Just be sure you go easy and try to keep the blank square to the sand paper.

wyone

if you do any sanding of the finished blank by hand, which I would not recommend, use figure 8 motions. I learned that trick while doing fiber optic terminations. That motion actually corrects most inaccuracies in hand sanding

Jerry944t

It's very easy to get that burr when using the 7mm trimmer from PSI. I happen to have a reloading tool but I often grab an Xacto knife or box cutter, which ever is in reach to get rid of that burr.
Doesn't happen very often anymore but when I was starting....
It won't happen with any tube larger than 7mm for obvious reasons.

VotTak

Thanks to all of you for responses. I believe that the reason for mistake is covered. Tool (L.E. Wilson Chamfer and Deburring Tool 17 to 45 Caliber) is found based on your responses as well. I really appreciate your help.

Top Bottom