Problems with a Tapa

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to let people know that the top "ring" on one of the Tapas I showed in this thread http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22789has come loose. The top ring isn't really a ring; it is two pieces. When I get home I am going to try to CA it back on.

Here is where the ring came loose:

2007326151456_Tapa_Problem.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Originally posted by twoofakind
<br />Just be careful with CA around the plated parts. It might turn it cloudy as it cures.

andy

Thanks. I was also thinking the same thing through the day. I can't decide if I want to go epoxy or loctite. Any suggestions?

wudnhed

I love the Sierra kit, have made about 30 or so, no problems yet. Hope it's just a fluke! Hope you get it fixed to your liking.

NavyDiver

Hey Scott, I think you need to send that to me so I can fix it for you. Of course, the turnaround time might be a little slow but you will get it back ... eventually ... maybe ...

twoofakind

I would first contact who you bought it from. I might try some epoxy first. The CA may not be a problem since you are leaving it out in the open and not covered up. Let us know how it turns out.
Andy

Update: I have found two chorome failures (so far). It looks like the gold may be alright.

I tried to glue the ring back on, but I can not get it to go all the way around. I suspect that they milled the brass insert a thousandth or so big and forced the ring on. Give it a bit of time and it fails. I am going to try contacting WPP to see what they will do for me.

Mikey

Scott, if you need any help, let me know since I did the bulk purchase of these. I have made two Tapa pens so far and the ring came loose on one, but after I assembled it, I have had no problems. I am still trying to get enough use to see if the black chrome comes off like reported by a few others.

Update:

Jimmy from WPP got back to me with a prompt response. He is working with me to get the problem resolved. I will give another update with the final outcome.

Mikey

Wow, did it break, or is that just glare from something? I only had one where the ring came loose, but none so far where it broke.[:0]

hey scott thanks for the info on the tapa. i have turned about 8 of these so far and i have had no problems with the rings. the only problem which is only tiny is when twisting the pen to open and close it seems kind of stiff.

thanks

its_virgil

Check for glue inside the tube at the end next to the twist mechanism. The clearance is tight and any glue will cause binding and twisting is impaired.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by awinegar17175442
<br /> the only problem which is only tiny is when twisting the pen to open and close it seems kind of stiff.

thanks

byounghusband

Check for glue inside the tube at the end next to the twist mechanism. The clearance is tight and any glue will cause binding and twisting is impaired.

Don's right. I had the same problem and he gave me the same advice. Worked like a charm. I clean the tubes with a deburring tool prior to assmbly and have had ZERO problem with the Sierra's since....
Thanks Don!!

In an effort to clear confusion here, I noticed earlier in the thread that some folks had said they like the Sierra, had made quite a few, and had never encountered this problem. For those, please note: this is NOT the Sierra pen, it is a Tapa pen, and though similar to a Sierra, it is a different kit. Hope this makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom