Problems with Sierra Pencil Conversion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

I have an order from a customer for 2 Sierra pencils, one platinum and one ti gold. I finished the platinum one last night following Mudder's directions and it works fine. Today I started putting together the ti gold one and without drilling out the tip at all, the pencil mechanism extends too far out and consequently won't work. I checked my other ti gold Sierras and they are all the same. The platinum ones would require some drilling as per Mudder's instructions. Has anyone encountered this problem and overcome it?

M

Mudder

I have seen it and the method that I used to overcome it was to turn a "spacer" from wood to fit over the pencil mechanism and seat in the nib end. It takes a lot of trial and error to get it just right. I have not tried any of the Sierra vista kits to see if the conversion works properly in them and I have found that many of the later Sierra kits will accept the mechanism without any drilling whatsoever.

Gerry, when you make the spacer think of how a rifle cartridge looks and work from there. If you are still having problems shoot me an email and I'll try to give you a sketch of what I'm talking about. Another "quick & Dirty method" is to put a couple of wraps of aluminum tape on the mechanism. Some might find it easier than trying to turn a small wood plug and if it is done with care it could be a permanent solution.

Hope this helps.

gerryr

Thanks. I'm glad to know I didn't get a weird batch of kits. It does seem odd though the the ID at the tip varies so much from one plating option to another. I have another idea I will try first and if doesn't work I'll get some aluminum tape tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom