Problems with sierra kits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

angboy

Is anyone else having problems with their sierra kits? It's one of my favorite pens to make but out of the last 5 or 6 I've put together, I've had problems. On one, the clip piece was WAY too loose and I had to glue it in. On two others, I wasn't able to even push them together. I finally figured out that there was way too tight of a fit where the twist mechanism top part goes up into the clip/finial. At first I thought the upper part of the nib assembly, the part that would be under the tube when the pen is assembled, was where the fit was too tight, so I sanded that area some. But even after a lot of sanding, the last part of putting the two pieces together was just too tight. So I finally realized it was at the other tend of the twist mechanism. After sanding that down some, I was able to get the two pens together. Am I the only one having these problems?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctwxlvr

One thing I have found with the Sierra pens I have done is that if there is a burr on the inside of the nib end it can make the twist hard if not unable to turn, also any glue inside of the nib end will do the same. The clearance between the tube and the lower part of the twist mechanism is very close, the top part of the transmission fits into the clip end and that is what operates the twist action of the pen it needs to be a very tight fit.

KenV

I have had some mix and match with Sierras and with the bushings matching the pens. Calipers, a reamer, and loctite handle all. I had a "General" long taper reamer that removes burrs and glue easily. The down side is that can be agressive so a light touch is called for.

Pipes

Originally posted by KenV
<br />
I have had some mix and match with Sierras and with the bushings matching the pens. Calipers, a reamer, and loctite handle all. I had a "General" long taper reamer that removes burrs and glue easily. The down side is that can be agressive so a light touch is called for.

Where did you get the reamer your using ?? Thanks [:D]

pipes

mrcook4570

I always epoxy the clip/finial in place as I have never found one that fit tight. Besides, most friction fit pieces eventually work loose.

Randy_

Angela: There have been lots of posts about the clip end of the Sierra kits being loose. On the ones I have, I can push the clip end in and take it out by hand....no tools necessary!!

There have also been quite a few comments from folks who feel the bushings are too loose.

Looks like Berea just hasn't done a very good job with the QC on this kit and sadly, they don't seem to care.[:(]

LanceD

Seems to me the bushing issue has been resolved some time ago. There was a bushing problem when the kits were first introduced but after numerous complaints Berea finally corrected the problem.

As for the loose fitting parts, the majority of the Sierra's I've put together were a little loose but that's something a little dab of blue locktite will take care of.

Randy_

Originally posted by LanceD
<br />.....As for the loose fitting parts, the majority of the Sierra's I've put together were a little loose but that's something a little dab of blue locktite will take care of.

That's true; but using that logic, we should just sand down oversized bushings or build up the undersized ones with a little tape. The way I see it, the manufacturers offer us their kits with a certain implication of the quality of the fit and finish. Customers should not have to jury rig their kits when the manufacturer fails to deliver products that meet his and the industry's norms.

Originally posted by LanceD
<br />Seems to me the bushing issue has been resolved some time ago. There was a bushing problem when the kits were first introduced but after numerous complaints Berea finally corrected the problem....

If I am remembering the correct kit, there were actually two problems with the Sierra bushings. The holes in the bushings were off-center so you could not get round blanks and the were a bit undersized so the blanks did not fit snugly on the bushings. The problem of the off-center holes was corrected after many months of discussion; but to the best of my knowledge the issue of loose fit was not addressed. If someone has purchased Sierra bushings recently and can comment on their fit in the tubes or can measure them up so I can compare them with an older set, we might be able to lay this question to rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom