Problems in rivercity

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

I did my first segment I use Holly and Pink Ivory. What I do like is the color combo. What I do not like about the segment is that I can see the glue line ( Well I used regular wood glue.) Well I need to change my gluing habits! to CA clear. Second is I tried to keep the sandpaper off the holly but as you can see the metal from the bushing have gotten into the holly. It was a good learning experience. Is there any thing else any of you turners can instruct me to eliminate any other thing you see. Comments please

Bill Daniels

20082231138_segment%20test%2001%20%20.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

...and a sanding sealer to help prevent this from happening. You may need to use sanding sealer between each grit to keep darker wood dust from staining the lighter woods.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Aderhammer

Use acetone to clean the wood from any metal, sandpaper, dust residue.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I take a different approach. After your final pass with your tools (skew, gouge or scraper) use pressurized air to blow off the blank. Seal the holly (or any lighter or porous wood) with thin CA. Sand normally, but be aware that you will need to reapply the thin CA from time to time.

Fred

I have on many occasions used a premium sanding sealer to help prevent the transfer of bushing metal back to the lighter wood. At least it helps when using a thinner to clean the wood. Otherwise one must avoid the use of lighter woods which do tend to get dirty far easier.

I have also tried using nylon washers that fit between the bushings and wood on both ends. It works very well too!

As far as to your 'visible' glue lines, try sanding with MM to get a very smooth edge on all surfaces and then use CA to glue the pieces together.

Ron Mc

As others have said.....When you begin with 600 grit start using sanding sealer between each grit. I have used holly next to African ebony and bloodwood and when the pen is completed the holly is still white.
As far as bushing dust.....Try not to sand the bushings at all. Just be careful when you are sanding and you'll be fine.
Bill....You will be amazed at how much better your glue joints look when using CA.

mick

Like Lou and Ron, I use thin CA as sanding sealer after my final turning with a skew. By using a skew to do your final turning you'll seldom have to start with less than 400 (sometimes 600)grit sand paper. As Lou does I also use air to blow off the blanks before I touch em with anything. Like Ron I've done many segmented pens using combinations of Holly, Bloodwood and Blackwood and never get bleed overs using this method. As for bushing dust, I'll probably get blasted for this as most purist will say this is a no no :D but I will sometimes on my first pass of thin CA go over onto my bushings so when I sand I'm sanding CA instead of bushing. When I done I usually clean up my bushings with Acetone anyway so it removes any unwanted CA before the next use.

Top Bottom