Problems with PSI Workshop/Sketch Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bigbaddoc80

I have just finished turning and assembling a PSI Workshop/Sketch Pen. After assembly, the pen clicks forward when I push the plunger. However when I try to write with the pen, the point slides back into to tube. I have checked and rechecked my assembly and can find no fault. Anyone out there that can help me?:bulgy-eyes:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

Those of us who are old enough will remember using drafting pencils 'back in the day' that had a collet arrangement similar to these modern workshop/sketch pencils. Some of those had a similar problem - it was a combination of the fact that graphite dust from the pencil lead is slippery (it's actually used by locksmiths as a lubricant), and the serrations collet fingers may not be as sharp as they need to be.

One solution is to blow out any graphite dust in the collet. Also check to make sure that the collet is closing down tightly on the lead. And check the teeth in the collet to make sure that they are sharp.

LouF

I used graphite dust on a old British Enfield lossen up the action I remember the old drafting pencils in high school drafting class that lead me in to construction then contracting..

ironman123

I have one of those type pencils from the 60's. I think the brand is Sadler or something like that. Never had that problem.

Ray

edstreet

Something here that I noted.

After assembly, the pen clicks forward when I push the plunger.

Is this a regular pencil mechanism or is it a holder jaws? If it's a regular pencil mechanism I would bet the wrong size lead is in there. The confusion here is workshop/sketch pencils use the lead holders and not the click mechanisms, however the wording indicates it's a standard click pencil mechanism.

Top Bottom