Problems with PSI Mica Swirl Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

When I got the catalogue from PSI that showed these, I immediately ordered 7 of them. The colors look very nice in the catalog. I received only 5, with 2 backordered. The colors were truly disappointing, looking more like they were layered instead of swirled. The first two I drilled cracked at the end when the drill came through. I solved that by using a brad point drill. Two of them literally exploded on the lathe, sending bits of PR all over the place. I barely managed to get 2 pens done. After that I called PSI, told them about my experience and cancelled the other two pieces. Last night I tried the final piece, a pink one that my wife wanted made into a RB. I sharpened my tools before I started. Everything seemed to be going along fine until I started cutting the tenon and the whole upper barrel piece shattered.

Has anyone else experienced problems with these blanks? I know a lot of people are making their own PR blanks so it doesn't seem reasonable that this is a common problem with PR.

Thanks for any insights.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

I have only made one pen from this type blank. Had to use very light cuts, but I managed to complete the pen. The layered look sure was disappointing. I will not buy them anymore.

Rudy Vey

I don't know enough about the PSI blanks, but I made my share of plastics, i.e. acrylics that I know what and what not to do.
Drill: carefully with water applied to the bit with a paint brush, don't force it, clean out often (and apply some water), don't go more that 1/4" depth at a time. I drill at about 1300 rpm, others may think this is too fast, but works for me with the above. Be very careful when you get towards the end. Before turning, I found it much better and lesser danger of breaking off too much at a time, to round over the corners with a sander. If none is available, go very carefull, don't try to hog off too much. Take about 2-3x times the time you would use for wood. Finish with a skew, sand carefully - wet- and finish with some automotive scratch remover.
BTW, it pays off to color the brass tubes with a color (I use Sharpies or Sanford paint marker) in about the color of the acrylic. The tube will not be visible after you finished the pen - here one sees often the tubes shining through (even if you think that the plastic is very dense, believe me in some areas the material is so thin one will see the tubes.

gerryr

I have several pens using acrylic and have yet to have any problems at all. I rounded the corners of this before I started turning, I learned that on the very first one of these I tried. Even if it weren't for the brittleness of this stuff, the fact that the actual blanks didn't even remotely resemble the photos in the catalog would be enough for me to never buy another piece of it again.

fritzmccorkle

if i've ever drilled an acrylic where i let the drill bit go through the end i can't remember it. i won't say it happens every time, but.....cut long, drill without going through the bottom then cut off the end piece.

curlyjoe

I ordered a set of mica the colors weren't too bad I had no problems with them my wife love the pink comfort grip I made her as soon as I get a chance I'll post pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom