Problems with Lucite blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

I have disappointed with Lucite blanks or transparent blanks. I have been painting the blanks the color of the blank The fit is tight then putting the tube into the blank. Even to the point of scrapping the paint off the tube.

The results are disappointing I can see the (brass) of the brass tube

The only solution is to drill the blank hole slightly larger. Is this the only solution? What are you doing to eliminate this problem?

thanks

OH I paint with acrylic paint. sanding the tube first so the paint can adhere to it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Seer

I started using spray paint on the blanks and you get a thinner smooth coating. Testors was to thick for me to use and I had the same issues.

GoodTurns

drill slightly oversize, paint the tube, paint the inside of the blank, lots of glue so there are no air bubbles.... messy, but it works for me. I am sure others have their methods!

IPD_Mr

The other thing you can do is mix the paint in your epoxy. We do that and paint the inside of the blank.

Chasper

Use a chain saw file to smooth out the inside of the blank. On the few occasions I've had problems with scraping off paint while inserting the tube, the problem has been build up of paint around burrs that happened during drilling. Get the inside smooth (sharp drill bits help) and the paint will apply evenly and not get scraped off. The chain saw file makes the hole ever so slightly larger too, that also helps.

I never paint tubes or color the adhesive. Occasionally I drill the holes slightly larger and back paint two coats. Color between the inside of the blanks and the adhesive is the core problem, if the brass is showing the glue is also showing.

Top Bottom