Problems with Euro Centerband

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Aerotech

I have had 3 pens come back where the center band has come loose and fallen off the pen. I've glued some one with CA and I've glued some on with 2 part epoxy and I know for a fact I've gotten back 2 of the CA and one of the Epoxy. I switched to Epoxy because of the first 2. Any ideas???

Should i cut the tenion smaller to allow for more glue between the surfaces or should I make it bigger and "press" the center band onto the wood.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

airrat

I have not had any come off. My first ones I had used CA but found out it caused the metals to turn color. So now I use epoxy. I usually use a small bead completely around then tenon. I have not done one in awhile but if I remember correctly they were somewhat tight and the amount of epoxy was very thin. edited to add: When I put the tenon on I would give it a small twist to ensure glue was on it.

arioux

Try using Loctite. I've never had one come loose using it and if you get it on part it wipes off.

Locktite will work on model that the centerband slides on the metal tube, but will not offer a good grip on the one that you turn a wood tenon.

Make sure your tenon is not too small, a good press fit is required, than a drop of epoxy all around the tenon should secure it.

Works for me.

GColeman

I use the point of my skew to cut some grooves into the tennon. This gives the epoxy something else to grip. Plus it raises little ridges around the cuts that compress when you press on the center band.

Last edited:

Andrew_K99

What CA are you using (thin, med, thick)? If you are using thin it may not be adhering well.

You may also need to scuff up the surface before attaching it, on the few I have done I used 80 grit to roughen the tenon.

AK

Last edited:

bradh

My first ones I had used CA but found out it caused the metals to turn color.

The CA sets very slowly when trapped in a joint like this. As it sets, it off gases and these gases will tarnish the plating. I have only seen this tarnishing when I pack the pen in a box right away. Let the pen sit out in the open shop air for a day or two, then there is no tarnish.

Regarding the original question, CA is intended for a small gap joint so try and keep this tenon-CB fit tight if using CA.

Aerotech

I knew I could count on you guys for ideas. I will tighten up the fit so the center band has to be pressed on and I'm also loving the "cut some grooves" idea. Then I'll rough up the inside of the center band just a bit. Thank you to all who posted here to help me out. After mixing all these ideas together, I don't think it'll come off if i want it to. Thanks again!!!

PenMan1

First, never use CA on a Euro center band. If you do manage to get the CA in place without making a mess, it WILL deteriorate the plating (even on quality chrome, the hardest plating commercially available)

Second, never trust bushings to make the tenon. Use the actual centerband that you plan to use. Cut the tenon until CB "almost goes on", then put the tools down and hand sand until the CB is very snug. Then simply press fit the band with an arbor press.

Third, if you miss #2, use 3M double stick tape in enough rounds that the CB press fits nicely. If the fit is close, Rex Loctite thread compound WILL hold it. When I goof, but the error is smaller than the double stick tape fix, I use a hair dryer to apply heat to the CB and Loctite, followed by 5 minutes in the freezer. The quick, extreme changes in thread locking compound makes for a tight seal.

Respectfully submitted

Top Bottom