Problems drilling longer blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kretzky

So I started drilling on my lathe a while back, simpler & more accurate than in a drill press, but I'm having a problem :frown: I turn the blank round first, & then drill through. This works great with short barrels. But due to the length of my drill bits, when drilling a long blank (around 4") I have to drill in from each end, & while the holes do meet in the middle :eek: they seem to be somehow "off register" so the tube will slide in most of the way but then binds. Any thoughts? Does anyone here use longer drill bits that will go all the way thro a 4"+ blank & where can I get them from in the sizes we tend to use.
Thanks in advance
David

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Round and concentric are really only close when you are using a chuck to hold the blank. Once you spin it, the slight variance in the manufacture of the chuck will cause the blank to be off by a couple thousands on an inch. Add in the fact that the brill bits, no matter what kind, will tend to wander slightly through the material being drilled. Its very rare to be spot on once you flip the blank.

its_virgil

Colt bits are one solution. Aircraft bits are another.

I turn blanks round and hold them in my collet chuck. I drill from one end and, like you, turn the blank around, and drill from the other end and the holes meet quite nicely. The more perfectly round the better it works.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

randyrls

Any thoughts? Does anyone here use longer drill bits that will go all the way thro a 4"+ blank & where can I get them from in the sizes we tend to use.

David; MSC has bits in 6 inch and 12 inch lengths.
Browse Our Online Catalogs and Flyers

These have long shanks, but the same length flutes. You have to clear the flutes while drilling. They also have true long flute drill bits, but these tend to be in the $40.00+ range.

These drill bits tend to wander more than shorter bits.

Crashmph

You could try a Colt bit, that's what I use, and there longer.
Curt

Woodcraft has some very nice Colt 5-star bits that are 6" long and have very open flutes to help with the chip extraction. Sadly, my source tells me at woodcraft that Colt could not keep up with production, so woodcraft is discontinuing the bits. Get them while you can.

Michael

Kretzky

What kind of lathe are you using
Farmer

Lathe's a General International Midi, belt drive & pulley speed change.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions re drillbits, looks like I need to get a 5/16" Colt or aircraft bit for what I'm doing now & also a 3/8" for future use with the Long click (not made any of those yet).
thanks again guys!
David

crabcreekind

Colt bits are one solution. Aircraft bits are another.

I turn blanks round and hold them in my collet chuck. I drill from one end and, like you, turn the blank around, and drill from the other end and the holes meet quite nicely. The more perfectly round the better it works.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Your lathe has to be on center also, to do this. My lathe would not be capable of doing this.

CREID

You could try a Colt bit, that's what I use, and there longer.
Curt

Woodcraft has some very nice Colt 5-star bits that are 6" long and have very open flutes to help with the chip extraction. Sadly, my source tells me at woodcraft that Colt could not keep up with production, so woodcraft is discontinuing the bits. Get them while you can.

Michael

I bought the last ones from Rockler.
Curt

Top Bottom