Problems with Broker pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi all, I wonder if anyone else has had any problem with the Broker pen. (I imported a handful from CSUSA) 1st is when finished, the refill sticks out the nib too far. 2nd is the cap. I thought I had turned a couple of them off centre as the cap sat very poorly. My quick fixes are to pull the plastic bit off the end of the refill and file a bit of the refill till it looks right. The cap was a bit trickier. I discovered that a brass tube actually can slide a couple of mm into the cap between the cap sleeve and the black part, so I wrapped my finished blank in insulating tape,
stuck it in the lathe and took a bit off the wood down to the brass.
Works a treat, but when the refill gets changed, it will stick out again.
I haven't seen any postings of this pen either?
Looking forward to comments

Skiprat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

I haven't experienced the refill problem, but the cap often will not fully seat unless you twist it past the point where the refill comes out.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
The length on a pen with a Parker refill is critical.It sounds as if you milled a "dram too much" or maybybe too many drams?[:D]

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Parker refill? Don't know about that, but I do know the blank was trimmed pretty accurately to the tube. Also, the trimming of this type of pen has no influence on the protrusion length of the refill.
The nib also screws directly into the very long mech. Note the small shoulder I had to cut to centalize the cap.

2006122235043_broker.jpg
<br />

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Just seen a pic of wpenm's pen. It seems that some places sell them as CEO pens and others as Broker pen. Still could use some help please.[:)]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
My mistake,I confused the Broker withthe WallSt which is the same as the Sierra I believe.
That is a Parker refill pen.
Gimmeeadopeslap!

leevis

I turned one of these pens this weekend and had the same problem with the cap. As to the tip, the only time I've had a problem with it protruding out too far is when I've had to disassemble that end. On the inside of the tip, there's a metal "collar" (for lack of a better term) that the hex end of the mechanism seats in to. If you use a metal rod (like those in a disassembly kit) to back out the tip after it has been pushed onto the barrel, it can push the collar down, thus allowing the mechanism to seat too far down. In your case, it's possible the collar might not have been in the right place to begin with.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi Lee and MRCook, thanks for replies. Lee, what you said has given me an idea, The collar you mentioned may be the problem. I have six pens left, and all are identical. I have mixed and matched all of them and they all measure up the same. What I have done now is to take a pic with a shortened black refill in one mech together with one with a stock blue refill. In the pic both are fully extended. If you still have a pen, please would measure how much your refill sticks out from the mech? My stock blue refill sticks out 14.5mm. I have trimmed the black one so that it sticks out approx 12.5mm. But if the collar can be pushed in by 2mm it will fit and there will still be enough thread on the tip to screw into ( and hold )the mech.
Just for the record, my collars are all 4.5mm from the edge of the black bit.

Thanks for any advice

2006124185027_Broker%20mechs.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom