Problem wih a Jr. Gent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I'm having a problem with a Jr. Gent and I can't figure out why. The cap will not screw all of the way on to the body. The first photo shows the center band coupler screwed onto the body as far as it will go. the trim ring on the body should should seat into the center band so that it can't be seen when the pen is capped. As you can see, it doesn't. The second picture shows that the threaded plastic, when not in the trim ring does thread all of the way up to the trim ring on the body as it should. The third picture shows that the center band will fit over the trim ring as it is supposed to, but it is an extremely tight fit. I've looked for burs inside the trim ring. There are none. Do any of you have any idea why I'm having this problem? More importantly, how to correct it?

Attachments

• jrgent1.jpg
    jrgent1.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 152
  • jrgent2.jpg
    jrgent2.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 158
  • jrgent3.jpg
    jrgent3.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 149

Dale Allen

Michael; have you resolved this yet?
I have looked at the images several times and all I can think is that the centerband and nib ring are not a matched set. I know there are many kits that use the same basic parts and they may have gotten mixed up.
Also, those decorative rings are usually pressed onto the centerband and not loose like your picture shows. Perhaps this kit was 'messed with' by a customer and then returned and put in stock as new.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
After experimenting with parts from other kits I think the problem is in the metal part that fits over the plastic threads. There is a lip, or shoulder in there which may not have been machined properly. There are no burrs or visible imperfections but that piece will not seat over the trim ring unless I force it over the ring.

I've set it aside and will look at it again in the future. But for now my resolution was to knock the whole thing apart and put it on a Jr. Statesman. :rolleyes: It's a wedding pen that I want to get to the bride ASAP.

Top Bottom