Problem with wallstreets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Talltim

We have made a number of the Wall Street elegant kits. Most of them were obtained through Woodcraft and have the titanium gold finish.

Today someone came and said their pen was rusting. On examination it was was not rusting but the titanium gold definitely looked mottled. We looked at a few in our inventory that we had for a while and they appear to be starting the same process.

Has anyone else had this problem? We have sold a lot of these! We are replacing the kit for this individual but would hate to have a run of it.

I was always told titanium gold was one of the best finishes.

I believe these are Berea based kits which are usually good quality.

Perhaps I can post a picture tomorrow if I can get a good one.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ironwood

I had what sounds like a similar thing with a Gold Titanium kit , different supplier and different manufacturer though.
My case was caused by the process of putting a thin coat of 24 ct Gold over the top of the Gold Titanium, apparently to give it a brighter look. My supplier has since stopped this process and now just supplies the kits with just GT nothing on top.

I am not saying this is what has caused your problem, just recalling what happened to me a few years back.

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have had a few Sierras purchased back around 2010 do that. I purchased about 30 and made about 2 per year (along with other pens) since that time and 4 of the Sierras mottled on the gold, mainly on the clip. I wondered if I polished them with something without thinking, or if staying in their bags for so long caused it.

They were in an unheated and uncooled storage shed for a two or three years. Some did not but some did have the mottled clips. The other parts did not.

Talltim

Just a follow up. I called woodcraft. They had no idea what was causing the finish issues but they did volunteer to replace kits for all pens affected.

Their tech guy was a positive in the customer service area.

It did cause me to lose some confidence in the Wall Street elegant kits with the titanium gold finish.

I may convert to the diamond knurl kits that exotic blanks carries. Similar look and better on the price. Have made one and the quality seems reasonable.

Top Bottom