Problem with tranny

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

retiredtog

I just finish this classic ballpoint but when assembled it doesn't twist, the top just spins. Can I glue the upper part of the tranny to the top tube?

2006119224617_lep1.jpg

2006119224640_lep2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

reed43

Try unscreding the cap a couple of threads and then push it a bit deeper into the top. This should catch the transmission.

Reed Kempton

woodcraftsbyreed.com

4reel

I have had this very same issue and tried the pinch thing and it did not work well at all. I then tried a drop of CA glue on it and that worked out very well. If it gets to think you scrape or sand it down to the size you need. I made the pen that can be found at http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=050-0369 it is a rollerball but it was much nicer you might want to check that one out. It is slightly larger take a 10mm drill but great pen.

Tea Clipper

I wouldn't glue the upper part *to* the tranny, but rather use the CA to build up some thickness which would then prevent the top from turning freely. I'd be more inclined to drizzle a line around the inside of the cap and allow to dry before assembly.

Rudy Vey

This is odd, never happened to me and I done hundreds of Am Flattop (the Berea version). Normally the transmission is pressed onto the brass finial part (that is pressed into the brass tube of the upper barrel)and thats how the doubletwist mechanism is operated. The transmission should normally not be ostructed by the tube or else, and there is no need for glue. Make sure that the twist mechanism is tightly pressed to the brass part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom