Problem ring on wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

knowltoh

I am having a problem turning slimlines with a small black edge turning up on my pens near the bushings--all 4 ends. Do I need a new set of bushings. It doesn't seem to matter what kind of wood. For the life of me, I can't figure this out. Any ideas?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1353pen.jpg
    IMG_1353pen.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 168
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GouletPens

Sounds like dust from the bushings getting on to the wood while sanding. It's common. Has this happened with other woods? I think because the wood is so dark it's turning up as a black ring, other woods might be grey rings. Is this the first pen that this has happened on?

Rick_G

I agree looks like metal dust from the bushings. I get around this by taking the blanks off the bushings when I sand. I either replace the bushings with a couple short pieces of 7mm tube or put them between centers and tighten just enough to hold while sanding.

ngeb528

I've used blue painters tape around the bushings while sanding and cleaning with DNA. Just one round of tape on the bushing and it solved the problem for me.

Russianwolf

one other possibility is the barrel trimmer is burning the wood. especially happens when it gets a little dull. It's one of the many reasons that I stopped using them.

Tim'sTurnings

I had that problem with the black rings when I used my disc sander to square off the ends. It was burning the wood, thus turning the ends black. Since then I use a better quality of sandpaper and most of the time I use a barrel trimmer. Haven't had any problems since.
Tim.

bruce119

Use the stock bushings to turn the pen and get it's shape. Then get rid of them take the stock metal bushings off and use a set of delran (plastic). To sand and finish your pen. You can make your own. You can use plastic cutting board, PVC, corian to make your own bushings. My finishing bushings I make I use delran. I make the ends smaller remember you already turned it to size. Then I do my final sanding and CA finish micro mesh the CA then I use a parting tool and turn/cut the ends the excess CA that gets on the bushings. Then I use my final plastic polish Novus II.

That's the way I do it.

hewunch

I second the delrin bushings. Johnnycnc sells some that go between centers, I sell some that go on the mandrel. Either way, it should solve your problem. And keep you from cracking your finish off when you break the bushings loose.

bruce119

I second the delrin bushings. Johnnycnc sells some that go between centers, I sell some that go on the mandrel. Either way, it should solve your problem. And keep you from cracking your finish off when you break the bushings loose.

That's were the parting tool comes in handy turn the CA film off rite at the end of the blank. And your blank will come off clean if you break it you can get all kinds of problems cracked finish on the ends CA separating off the blank chipping and so on.

Top Bottom