Problem with PSI Big Ben

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jyd

I am building a PSI Big Ben fountain pen and the bushings in the kit don't seem to match the diameters of the parts that press into the lower tube.

The end cap measures .493 but the bushing for that end is .528 a difference of .035, larger wood than cap
The coupler measures .529 but the bushing for that end is .460. a difference of .069, coupler bigger than the wood.

I have went over the instructions many times and laid out the parts in order and I don't understand why they would be off that far. What am I missing?:confused:

Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Waluy

It seems to me that maybe you got a bad set of bushings. Based off of the diagram provided with the Big Ben Fountain pen bushings should be sized like this...

jup.png

EDIT Actually after looking closer it appears perhaps you are trying to put the end cap and coupler on the opposites sides of where they belong. I.e. putting the end cap on the coupler side and coupler on end cap side

Last edited:

NittanyLion

Bushings are over rated anyway.....as long as they fit the tube, they will work. You will get a better fit by measuring. I only use them to hold the blank till close, remove them, TBC in the tube, and finish. Nothing is more accurate.

76winger

It seems to me that maybe you got a bad set of bushings. Based off of the diagram provided with the Big Ben Fountain pen bushings should be sized like this...

jup.png

EDIT Actually after looking closer it appears perhaps you are trying to put the end cap and coupler on the opposites sides of where they belong. I.e. putting the end cap on the coupler side and coupler on end cap side

Been there done this and have a messed up finished upper & lower section to show for it! :bulgy-eyes:

Jyd

My diagram is just like that and the tip end is where the Coupler goes so the nib will screw in which takes me back to my original post.

Like NittanyLion stated I don't normally worry about the bushing to much but normally they are only off a couple thousandths and I just turn to fit the parts.

But this one is off so far it startled me as to why. All I can figure is they have changed some parts since the diagram and bushing kits were created.

Thanks for the replies I was hoping someone else had seen this problem and had an answer. I will just turn to fit and call it good. :rolleyes:

switch62

You have to reverse the way you are thinking about the lower barrel.
The "Tip End" bushing (.460) is where the "End Cap" (.493) goes.
The centre bushing 0.528 end is where the "Coupler" (.529) goes.

You would be turning the blanks as the pen would be when it is in the capped position, not the writting position.

The Penn State instructions for the pen show exactly how it is orientated. "Diagram A/Part List" and "Diagram B/Turning the Blanks" are all in the same orientation.

The only thing that seems wrong is that the end cap is .033 bigger than the tip end bushing. Seems like too much. The pictures on the Penn State site show the wood flush to the end cap. Are you sure the end cap is .493 ?

Tony O

Jyd

You would be turning the blanks as the pen would be when it is in the capped position, not the writting position.

The Penn State instructions for the pen show exactly how it is orientated. "Diagram A/Part List" and "Diagram B/Turning the Blanks" are all in the same orientation.

The only thing that seems wrong is that the end cap is .033 bigger than the tip end bushing. Seems like too much. The pictures on the Penn State site show the wood flush to the end cap. Are you sure the end cap is .493 ?

Tony O

Tony:

I just measured it again and it comes out .493. But if you look at the drawing of the pens at the top of the page all of the thin gold rings stand a bit proud of the wood and if I am looking at it backwards, and now that I look at it a bit more you may be correct, then it should be fine.

I was thinking that the nib went on the smaller tapered end.

To Nittanylions statement about PSI Customer Service, I just called them today on this kit missing a part and even called them yesterday on a Broadwell kit missing a part and with no argument and no complaining they told me the parts would ship that day. I could not ask for a friendlier person each time I called.

Jyd

Tim'sTurnings

PSI via phone customer service has always been great for any issues that I've had. They shipped any corrective action the same day.
***But in my experience they do not reply for email contact***
So always use the telephone and you will get great service. JMHO.
Tim.

Waluy

That's what I was trying to say it just didn't come out quite right :redface:

Top Bottom