Problem with Private Reserve Ink cartridges?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbfoto

I tend to either use or give away my pens however this past weekend I did a craft booth at a local small town festival and took a case full of pens to sell.
After reading here on this site I decided to order "Private Reserve Ink cartridges to put in any pen that I sell.
I sold a few slims early in the day then a gentleman came in and wanted to purchase a Wall street II pen I had. It was really one of the nicer ones I've made. He picked it up and after holding it for a couple minutes he went to try writing with it on a pad of paper I had sitting there and the pen would not write. He looked at me and I felt embarrassed but tried to remain calm and explained that maybe something had happened to the cartridge and that I would put a new one in for him. I had taken a hand full of new cartridges with me. I took out a new cartridge and picked the little protective cover off the tip of the ink and installed it in the pen and handed it back to him and said "there you go.....try that". Well he tried to write with it but it too would not write. He handed me back the pen and I tried to scribble with it on the paper but could not get it to write. Now I'm really feeling embarrassed so I added another cartridge but got the same results. I went through 4 brand new cartridges before I could get one to work but I could tell that it still did not write properly. The customer then told me that he could probably just go buy himself a new cartridge at a store and for me to not worry about it. He liked the pen and wanted to buy it anyway. I felt terrible and discounted the price of the pen to a point that I was not making anything on it.
After he left the booth I pulled all my pens out and scribbled with them to make sure they all worked and they did.
Ive been told before that sometimes the protective wax on the tip can get in the tip and I should use a "flame" to melt it out.
When I got home I took the other three cartridges out and tried to write with them. Only after considerable scribbling could I get any of them to work. Is this normal? They do now seem to write ok but this doesn't seem quite right to me.
Does everyone have to scribble and scribble a new pen to get them to work?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Tom!1

It would be easier to answer if you mentioned which PR "cartridge" you mean.

Sounds like you really mean a ballpoint--the 8900? 9000?
Clues will help us answer your question.

I tried looking to see what you bought--but apparently we were not the vendor, but I certainly would try to help.

Lenny

I have noticed problems with stock refills where I would have to "scribble" a bit to get them started, but never with the Private Reserve.
It sounds like a rare instance.

tbfoto

Sorry, yes these were the easy flow 9000 cartridges. No Ed you were not the vendor. I did not mention the vendor on purpose because I did not want it to reflect on them in a bad way.

Last edited:

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
There was a thread about ink cartridges evaporting slightly - but that was fountain ink.
I think you're talking about rollerball or ballpoint ink, correct? In that case, there's something obstructing the ball - wax likely (they put something on the end to keep it from evaporating), or dust or something like that .

Yes, a few scribbles are ALWAYS on my list of things to do after making a pen...I don't want the customer to be the first to try and see if the ink comes out! :)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Sorry, yes these were the easy flow 9000 cartridges. No Ed you were not the vendor. I did not mention the vendor on purpose because I did not want it to reflect on them in a bad way.

All of us are buying from a source---so I'm not implying anyone did anything wrong---I think you got an "oddball" though. We have literally sold thousands of the 9000 refill from PR and Schmidt and not had any reported problems.

OKLAHOMAN

Tom, I also checked my orders and it seems we also were not the vendor but if you PM me your address I will gladly send you 4 replacements as this has to be a fluke as we have sold thousands and not a single complaint. How long have you had these in stock? Have they been in varied temp. changes (freezing temps)?

tbfoto

I've had these for about a year now. Always kept inside my home.
Also to try to be clearer....when I say scribble I'm talking about drawing about 30-40 circles on paper before ink starts to flow.

OKLAHOMAN....that you for the offer but I didn't post this to get free iink. Your offer is very appreciated but I think the ones I have will be ok.
I'm just trying to get an idea if this was normal or not.
I will defiantly get all my ink working for sure before any more sales.

Thank you all for the help and advise.

IPD_Mr

Tom I just saw this thread and did a quick search of my orders in the past year and did not see one, but that does not mean you didn't pick them up at the local chapter meeting. Drop me a pm and how many you have that are bad and we would be happy to replace them. Like other here I am a little dumb founded as we have never had a problem like this since carrying these. I can understand one here or there but four in a row is a little shocking.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I tend to either use or give away my pens however this past weekend I did a craft booth at a local small town festival and took a case full of pens to sell.
After reading here on this site I decided to order "Private Reserve Ink cartridges to put in any pen that I sell.
I sold a few slims early in the day then a gentleman came in and wanted to purchase a Wall street II pen I had. It was really one of the nicer ones I've made. He picked it up and after holding it for a couple minutes he went to try writing with it on a pad of paper I had sitting there and the pen would not write. He looked at me and I felt embarrassed but tried to remain calm and explained that maybe something had happened to the cartridge and that I would put a new one in for him. I had taken a hand full of new cartridges with me. I took out a new cartridge and picked the little protective cover off the tip of the ink and installed it in the pen and handed it back to him and said "there you go.....try that". Well he tried to write with it but it too would not write. He handed me back the pen and I tried to scribble with it on the paper but could not get it to write. Now I'm really feeling embarrassed so I added another cartridge but got the same results. I went through 4 brand new cartridges before I could get one to work but I could tell that it still did not write properly. The customer then told me that he could probably just go buy himself a new cartridge at a store and for me to not worry about it. He liked the pen and wanted to buy it anyway. I felt terrible and discounted the price of the pen to a point that I was not making anything on it.
After he left the booth I pulled all my pens out and scribbled with them to make sure they all worked and they did.
Ive been told before that sometimes the protective wax on the tip can get in the tip and I should use a "flame" to melt it out.
When I got home I took the other three cartridges out and tried to write with them. Only after considerable scribbling could I get any of them to work. Is this normal? They do now seem to write ok but this doesn't seem quite right to me.
Does everyone have to scribble and scribble a new pen to get them to work?
I would have been embarassed but not that embarressed. It was not a defective pen, just a defective refill which would have eventually run out of ink anyway. I also sell the refills you mention below and have never experienced an problem or had one reported....unlike the other guys though I have not sold thousands.

Top Bottom