problem, need help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Perl

My Rikon lathe of only 4 months now has started acting up and I was hoping someone could give some advice before I pack it up and send it back. When i turn it on the speed will significantly change while trying to use it...fast, slow, medium,slow....etc.....I checked the belt, no apparant problem. no apparant electrical surges coming from the house?!?!?! Any suggestions out there in pen land?????? :confused::confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

Oh, one thought you might try is to give the controls a blast of air, sometimes just a little sawdust can effect the variable speed controls. I've seen that often on our big PC routers and small Delta jointer. It's worth a try!

Atherton Pens

You might try checking the motor bushings. My lathe motor started acting strange. When I called to discuss, they talked me through cleaning the bushings and it cleared up. Now I do what Lenny suggested, blow the motor out every so often to keep dust from causing problems.

PenMan1

I think Lenny nailed it. The symptoms sounds like a dirty pot (speed adjustment control). That lathe should have a set screw in the speed adjustment knob. It is meant to be tightened periodically. Removing the screw and cleaning the accumulated "lathe goo" should not void your warranty.

Remember, with electrical products, to check the simplest and most likely causes, first. The Ricon is a well made and dependable machine, with excellent customer service. But checking components subjected to fine dust particles. Could save some tele time with customer support.

Last edited:

nava1uni

I have a Rikon and the customer service is great. I have had mine for 4 years with no problem. One thing that I have done is put a piece of tape over the small space where the black metal box that is underneath the rails meets the frame. This prevent dust from getting on top of the motor where it is difficult to clean or blow out. Works great.

Perl

Update....I did try blowing off any of the controls I could get to and it did not correct the problem. I contacted Rikon, and to their credit they were very accomodating and offerd to immediately mail me a new PC Board at no charge. Hopefully it will be here in the next day or so and wewill see. i still find this site amazing that you can ask just about any question and have good advice offered up from people all over the US/ world.

thanks

Finatic

Rikon Rocks with Customer Service. Rod is the best. They will go the length to correct a problem. I will buy more Rikon tool as the need arises.

Top Bottom