Problem with Gearshift kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

putnamm

I made my first one of these tonight. When the mechanism is engaged, the refill sticks out much too far. I fiddled with it but couldn't get the refill to sit any further in the mechanism. Has anyone else had this problem, and how can I fix it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I had just gotten a few of these kits to try but have yet to make one. But I just layed all parts up against the tube and they look fine. When you say engaged, does that mean closed or open. ??? The tube length is 2 -7/32" long so that is what you blank should be. Is it possible you over trimed the blank?? Or is the refill sitting all the way up in the cap. There is a bit of a lip that it can catch on. Also is the spring an extra long spring because that is what is suppose to be with them. Need more info and maybe a photo will help.

Jack Parker

On the one that I have in my hand, the finished length of the tube is 2.24. The chart says 2.20 but I think this kit has a bit of tolerance. The barrel would have to be significantly shorter than 2.20 to cause a problem. Make sure that your refill is not catching on the edge of the housing and not dropping on into the housing of the mechanism. I can't make this one stay caught on the edge like that, but I guess it could happen.

putnamm

I had just gotten a few of these kits to try but have yet to make one. But I just layed all parts up against the tube and they look fine. When you say engaged, does that mean closed or open. ??? The tube length is 2 -7/32" long so that is what you blank should be. Is it possible you over trimed the blank?? Or is the refill sitting all the way up in the cap. There is a bit of a lip that it can catch on. Also is the spring an extra long spring because that is what is suppose to be with them. Need more info and maybe a photo will help.

j,

If I could get this message board to accept/upload my images then I could show you all of the pictures I took this morning. Unfortunately it will only allow me to upload the one... Go figure.

This image shows the refill sticking out. This is when the "gearshift" on the mechanism is fully in the down position--i.e. "engaged" or open. There are three positions on the gearshift mechanism. My understanding is that when the mechanism is in the bottom-most position, that is when it is supposed to be open and used for writing. The middle position is just for show, while the top-most position is closed. (When I have this one in the middle position, the refill tip is even with the end of the cap.)

I measured the pen blank, and it came in just a hair over 2.20 inches. (Again, I have a picture with the blank next to a ruler to illustrate this, but the site won't allow me to post it.) If the tube is 2.21875 inches long, then I may have trimmed the blank slightly short. However, if you look at the picture of the refill protruding, I think there is more than just a 0.01875 inch variance in how much "extra" refill is protruding.

I have removed the refill and attempted to re-seat it numerous times, with no change to the protrusion of the refill.

And yes, the spring is the long one that came with the kit.

Thanks for your help.

-Mark

Attachments

• 20160303_055006.jpg
    20160303_055006.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:

jttheclockman

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Here is a link to the image of the pen next to the ruler. Because the barrel tapers from the middle, where it is widest, out to the ends it appears in this image to be longer than it actually is. But when looking at it the barrel itself is clearly just over 2.20 inches.

The tube I have is 2.225" It maybe you trimmed too far. You may want to check the length of the refill also and that measure 3.87" Not much more can go wrong with the kit. You could always sand a bit off the top of the refill to make it work but it will not be a fix for the future. Especially to a customer. Look inside the end cap and make sure there is no slag from manufactoring left in there. That is all I got. Like I said i have not made any yet. Maybe the nib is suppose to stick out that far. Have not seen any in writing position

Will give you all the other parts measurements too.

spring---1.57"

nib end without the threads ----1.01"

pieces that screws into nib---.47"

Also noticed there is a screw in the cap end and it looks like it locks the gear **** arm in place. Maybe this is sticking down too far. Good luck and let us know what you find.

WriteON

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Here is a link to the image of the pen next to the ruler. Because the barrel tapers from the middle, where it is widest, out to the ends it appears in this image to be longer than it actually is. But when looking at it the barrel itself is clearly just over 2.20 inches.

The tube I have is 2.225" It maybe you trimmed too far. You may want to check the length of the refill also and that measure 3.87" Not much more can go wrong with the kit. You could always sand a bit off the top of the refill to make it work but it will not be a fix for the future. Especially to a customer. Look inside the end cap and make sure there is no slag from manufactoring left in there. That is all I got. Like I said i have not made any yet. Maybe the nib is suppose to stick out that far. Have not seen any in writing position

Will give you all the other parts measurements too.

spring---1.57"

nib end without the threads ----1.01"

pieces that screws into nib---.47"

Also noticed there is a screw in the cap end and it looks like it locks the gear **** arm in place. Maybe this is sticking down too far. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Not too much can go wrong is correct. Barrel length is generally the fault and the first thing to check.

Jack Parker

Here is a pic of the one that I have with the nib off and the gearshift in the retracted position. The refill extends approx .592 from the bottom end of the adapter. There is not any foreign matter stuck up in there, is there? When I look up in into the housing, I can see the screw that captures the gearshift handle, similar to the bolt action. No snickering about the blank, I didn't pick it out:redface:

View in Gallery

jttheclockman

The nib measure 1.02" You need to place the pen in the other position and measure it. If I had one made I would have unscrewed that nib and measured for you but as I said I do not. Sorry not much more I can help with.

smik

If you measure OAL of pen extended without the rear tire , it should measure 5.234 inches. Retracted with a 2.2 inch blank 5.066. Which will give you a .167 extension.

flyitfast

Check the tube length against the IAP kit/tube chart. A member of our club found that the supplier sent the wrong tube with the kit and is getting it replaced.
Gordon

smik

Wanted to add, to me even with a 2.2 blank the tip extends too far, seems adding .030 to .050 to tube length would be better. Anyone else who has made one think it extends too far?

EdGallop41

I made a mistake and trimmed the barrel too short and the pen was so nice I didn't want to redo it. So, I simply trimmed off some of the refill's black plug and it is one of my everyday pens.

WriteON

SUCCESS!

I managed to get a screwdriver inside the barrel and turn the screw at the base of the mechanism. Apparently it was loose. The pen is perfect now.

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions.

Mark

That's great news...and something to look for in the future.
I do tighten the screw
before assembling.

Top Bottom