Problem with Full Size Statesman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rjwolfe3

I have only sold one Statesman last year and the customer just emailed me with a problem. It seems the Rhodium part has become loose in the brass tube and is spinning. This would be on the body right below the nib holder. Is this a common problem and should I be gluing these kits together in the future? It seemed like a very tight fit when I put it together. I am assuming the fix would be a small drop of glue?

TIA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arioux

I use red locktite on all my pen now. I have encountered many times this kind of problem with different kits, at the nib or at the clip end. Even if the pressing was tight, many factor will cause the parts to get a little looser with time. Metal contract and expand.
I use gel locktite, easier to work with and just the tip of a toothpick will do. And the most important, no mess on your plating.

Hope this help.

Texatdurango

The small ring on the lower body is indeed spinning because the user overtightened the cap over and over and in time the overtightening actually tried to seperate the metal parts from the brass tube, just the opposite of when you pressed them together. To induce t his problem yourself, just grab a pen and screw the cap on real tight several times and eventually the ring will come loose.

The fix is simple, just loosen the coupler from the brass and put a drop of either ca or locktight, then re-press the part to the brass tube.

You need to tell the user to not tighten the cap so much, to which you might be met with "but the cap keeps unscrewing itself if I don't". Then you need to find the appropriate o-ring and send it to the customer to help his pen close and stay closed without the extra torque which will just loosen up the ring again.

As alfred said, this is not a kit specific problem. Since learning of this, I too started assemblying my pens with permanent locktight last year and have had no complaints since.

jttheclockman

Alfred

Where did you find the gel red loctite??? The stuff I have is liquid form.

Are these issues prevalent to other pen kits too??? Are there issues with any of the pen types like the Sierras if they are over tightened???

rjwolfe3

Thanks all for the replies. Since they may be a problem with "capped" pens is there an easy way to know what kind and size of o-ring to use. I know I have seen this brought up before so I will do a little research on the site and see if anyone lists sizes.

arioux

Alfred

Where did you find the gel red loctite??? The stuff I have is liquid form.

Are these issues prevalent to other pen kits too??? Are there issues with any of the pen types like the Sierras if they are over tightened???

Hi,

I take mine at Home Depot. I just realize Locktite is a brand. Not shure if the "thread locker" i use is the Locktite brand. I,ll check tonight and post the exact name.

I have seen the problem many times with slim lines, where the clip get loose and start to rotate around the barrel. I don't take chances anymore and use "thread locker" :) on all my penns. Takes just a few second more to assemble.

Just find a link at ACEHardware for the one i use.

http://www.gifts.com/products/Ace-Hardware/Permatex-Red-Gel-Threadlocker-27005-?p=1543:5396430:19

Hope this help

Top Bottom