Problem with first Summit pen kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

iMattDaddy

Hi all, I'm hoping someone can help me out with this. I just turned my first summit pen kit and found that I have a problem with assembly. When I install the twist mech, then insert the ink cartridge, the pen tip is nowhere near showing. I install to the indent shown on the twist, and it looks like I would need to press it another 1/2" to get it to show. That seems like a very considerable amount to press in further.

So I wanted to find out if anyone knows if the summit twist and ink cartridge are both the same size as in the slimline kit. I pulled a slimline kit and they match exactly. I'm guessing if user error isn't the problem, it's that they are not supposed to be the same size.

I appreciate the help. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

Or maybe I need to just stop crying about it and press it in another 1/2"?

I guess that would be my suggestion. :biggrin:

I make a Slimline using the bottom tube from a Designer and the tranny had to go WAY down in. Just take it slow and keep testing so you don't end up having to punch it back out.

MTViper

When I picked up my first pen kit, the man who gave me my first lathe lesson at Woodcraft set me up with all I needed. He gave me a hint that has stood me in good stead ever since. When making a pen kit with a Cross style pen refill, the length from the top of the installed transmission to the tip of the pen is 10.1 mm. It doesn't seem to matter which pen kit it is, this length works for all of them. Measure yours then carefully press it in until the finished length is 10.1 mm.

Steve

KenV

Or 3.95 inches. Made a gage block to that length.

I hate making those gosh darn typos. And the little tablet helps me make them.

Last edited:

qquake

I don't turn a lot of Cross style pens these days, but when I first started turning pens, I did. Mostly various European styles. At first I did the "press it a little at a time method". Take the refill out, press the transmission in a little, put the refill back in, and check it. Repeat as necessary. I finally got tired of the tediousness, and made some guide blocks for various Cross style pens. They allowed me to press the transmission in to the correct depth at once. Worked out very well. I originally just used straight blocks, but cutting the vee's into them made it easier to hold the barrel straight while pressing.

The Summit looks like a Berea round top to me. I looked at the Summit instructions, and there was limited information on how far to press the transmission, just to the "indentation ring". The Berea instructions say to mark the transmission 7/8" from the back end. But in my experience, if you trim the barrel a little too much, you won't press the transmission in as far. Likewise, if your barrel is a little too long, for whatever reason, you'll have to press it in farther. Using a guide block eliminates the guesswork. No matter how long or short the pen barrel, it will be the same length from the tip to the top of the transmission.

Attachments

• guide_blocks01.jpg
    guide_blocks01.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 120
  • guide_blocks02.jpg
    guide_blocks02.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 161
  • guide_blocks03.jpg
    guide_blocks03.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 115
  • guide_blocks04.jpg
    guide_blocks04.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 165
  • guide_blocks05.jpg
    guide_blocks05.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 160

iMattDaddy

Great tips everyone, thank you for all the feedback. Being my first of this type, after the slimline going together exactly as expected, this threw me off a bit thinking I did something wrong. And the pics with the guide blocks are very helpful, if I end up doing many more of the same type, I'll probably go that route.
Thanks again.

iMattDaddy

Well that worked, mostly. I was able to eventually press it in to the right distance. Unfortunately, as gentle as I tried to be with it, it seems like the twist may have been damaged some by doing that. It will still twist in and out, but it takes a considerable amount of effort more than normal. Not something that can't be done, but it is noticeable. Anyone who picks it up and twists it would notice.

Top Bottom