Problem with first closed end pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

allenworsham

Ok, I am going to be making a desk pen set for a friend that will have 2 pens on the base in funnels. I am going to be using a Comfort Pen for this making it elongated and closed end. I bought a closed end mandrel for 7mm pens from AS and made up some blanks to practice on.

Now, since I have never done this before and haven't read how to do it, I just went with what seemed logical to see what would happen. The nib blank was made typical size and the ends milled flush. The top blank was about 7" to allow some room at the end for the tail stock to go into with the front end milled and squared to the tube. Using an adjustable mandrel, I put on a slimline bushing first, then the nib blank, then the larger Comfort Pen bushing, then the top blank with the tail stock at the end. I turned it all down and sanded it to fit to the bushings and the tail end tapered down with about 1/4" tenon where it will be severed from the tail stock piece and rounded . I pulled everything off the lathe and then put the top piece on the closed end mandrel, installed it in the lathe and then brought up the tail stock to the indentation left from the first turning. It all seemed fine until I turned on the lathe and found everything out of balance. I tried to adjust the tail stock, but I couldn't get it to balance out. I tried it without the tail stock and it was just as bad. So I don't know if the close end mandrel isd out of whack or if I did this whole thing wrong.

So, anyone have any insight to help me out?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevers

Allen,
Unless someone beats me to this, here we go. You turn them both completely separate. Turn the nib end alone with the adj mandrel pulled back to the correct length for one barrel.
After you have drilled the top blank deep enough to just fit in the closed end mandrel, glue in the tube and mount it on the mandrel. It only needs to be long enough to leave a half inch or so over finished dimension. Maybe 3 1/2" or so. Unless you want the closed end to be much longer, then adj that length for it. Pull up the tail stock to support the tail end you will leave while you get the majority of the shape. Even sand a little if you like. When you are close, (is a personal choice) part off the tail end and pull in your tool rest at an appropriate angle and finish shaping the end. Sand and finish.
Hope this helps.

redfishsc

Agreed with above: turn the two blanks separately.

Second, what are you using to hold the closed-end mandrel? AZ Silhouette recommends using a drill chuck, but one of the mandrels I have from them has a nut on the back of it so big that makes it nearly impossible to mount in a drill chuck, so I use the Beall Collet (in this, the nut is behind the collet and the collet is only holding the shank of the mandrel).

If the mandrel has a large nut on it (Lou, don't touch that one;)) it may be jamming up in your drill chuck.

allenworsham

Originally posted by redfishsc

Agreed with above: turn the two blanks separately.

Second, what are you using to hold the closed-end mandrel? AZ Silhouette recommends using a drill chuck, but one of the mandrels I have from them has a nut on the back of it so big that makes it nearly impossible to mount in a drill chuck, so I use the Beall Collet (in this, the nut is behind the collet and the collet is only holding the shank of the mandrel).

If the mandrel has a large nut on it (Lou, don't touch that one;)) it may be jamming up in your drill chuck.

I am using a drill chuck and it seats fine as the nut is smaller. I checked that out first to make sure that wasn't the problem. It would seem to me that when the mandrel is expanded, it only expands at the end so that it pushes the pen tube off kelter at the front end a little bit. Perhaps wrapping a bit of tape around the mandrel rod to even things out would work? Hmmm...

I will give things a try seperately with each blank. I got plenty of practice material, so I want to get it right before I break out the good wood.

Thanks.

stevers

When I take off the tail support, I may have a very slight wobble too. But, by then I am on to the final stages and it really doesn't matter too much. If you had a serious problem, I have to think it was due to the way you were trying to mount the barrels the first times.
Try the single barrel mount and leave he tail stock in contact as long as you can for stability.
My experience is that the slight variance in the tube to mandrel contact isn't enough to cause any major problem. I haven't heard of any one else having an issue to speak of with this.
Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

Top Bottom