Problem with embossing powder inlay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Petricore

I am working on an inlay project and grabbed some embossing powder (from about 15 years ago) that has been sitting in a box and still had perfect teal coloring. When I filled it and cut it, it got speckled white and teal like cutting some of them revealed white inside ? I've heard good things about embossing powder and am not sure if this is just because it was so old, or if I just had a bad batch or what. Any suggestions on how to get a solid teal color into an inlay would be appreciated !

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasper

How fine are the particles of embossing powder? Very fine or grainy? The embossing powder I've used is micro fine, and I've not had the problem you describe. But I've had troubles as you describe from crushed stone that is larger grain. I think the problem I had was because of CA in between the particles of crushed stone. The stone stays its original color, but the pockets between the particles are filled with whitish CA.

Petricore

oooooooh. I didn't think about it actually being CA. They are larger particles and not a super fine dust. I tried sanding and polishing to see if I could get the white to go away, since it does on the CA finishes. I'll try to find some super fine stuff.

Thanks!

kirkfranks

I had some glitter that did the same thing. In that case is was actually white plastic base material that had the metalic coating.
My true embossing powder I have not had this issue, but as suggested above mine is very fine grind.

Top Bottom