Problem drilling on lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sabaharr

I started drilling my blanks on the lathe due to reading how great it was here. I set the blank in my 4 jaw NOVA and drill in a 1/2 inch keyless chuck. Somewhere I must be getting a wobble because when I put the tube in the hole there is an uneven gap around the end. So far It is not so bad that 2 part epoxy wont fill it but I may want to make some beefier pens soon and I am afraid the gap will be bigger than the thin material on these larger pens, or that due to the thinness I may start getting breakout. I watch and cant see any wobble but the evidence is there. Anyone ever notice this and if so how was it fixed?:frown:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ratimus

You might also try it on some scrap material, first with the drill bit you used and then with some other bits. If your drill bit is bent you will get oversized holes.

Ratimus

Another thought is: what are you using to start your holes? If you start with a stout center drill or even a countersink bit, you are more likely to nail the drilling because the bit you use to drill all the way through will be less prone to wander.

monophoto

Dead and live center points meet perfectly.

OK - but now put your Jacobs chuck into either the headstock or tailstock, install a bit (preferably a brad point), and check alignment again.

Your Jacobs chuck could be bent, you could have some trash on the morse taper that causes it to not seat squarely (since the Jacobs chuck is completely visible, it's more likely to be clean, but are you cleaning out the socket that it fits into?), or you could have a slight misalignment that is amplified when you have a spindle between the headstock and tailstock.

Another thing - you said that you have 'an uneven gap around the end' when you insert the tube in the hole. Are you saying that the hole is oval rather than a true circle? An oval hole suggests an alignment problem. An oversized circular hole suggests a bent bit.

But the other possibility here is that the hole is fine, but the tube has been flattened so that there is an uneven gap when you insert it into the hole.

jsolie

What sort of jaws are in your chuck? I have an old SuperNova and was able to drill using my small set of jaws (#1 I think). It did okay, but I never did quite trust how it was holding the piece. I picked up a set of the pen drilling jaws (only has two and can hold both round and square pieces), and drilling got better. You do have to be careful with your knuckles, though...

flyitfast

Agree with jsolie . The Nova pen jaws have worked the best for me.
One thing I have found helpful is to help the drill chuck in two ways: one, is to make sure the inside of the MT area is clean - if any shavings get inside they can throw the alignment off. two, I always make sure the morse taper is well seated and I hold onto the Jacobs chuck to feel for wobble and to hold it secure while drilling.
Also, I totally agree with the comment for using a starter bit of the appropriate size so that the drill has a place to seat itself and get started on center. HF is the best and cheapest place I've found to get them.
Gordon

Charlie69

I use to have that problem when I 1st started drilling on the lathe then I started to turn a part of the blank round and the problem is solved. NowI drill blanks with a scroll chuck almost exclusively, because it works so well. What I have found is that most blanks aren't square so the scroll chuck grips the blank unevenly, resulting in poor drilling. If I turn part of the blank round and leave a shoulder to but the blank up against the blank is perfectly centered. Give it a try it works for me.

1st pic shows the piece turned round, then I turn it around and start drilling. Center bit to start, then twist bit for wood. With acrylics, center bit then smaller than needed twist bi,t then finish hole with appropriate sized bit. Dead nuts holes assuming the rest of the ducks are lined up i.e. sharp bits.

Attachments

• IMG_0043.JPG
    IMG_0043.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 213

flyitfast

Neat idea Charlie. I have relied on the scroll jaw/pen jaws for keeping everything in line. I think your method might just be better for me.
Thanks for posting.
Gordon

Charlie69

Made a huge difference in the holes I drilled for tubes, in fact it works so well I rarely use my collet chuck for drilling holes for tubes. Not sure where I got the idea from, I want to say I originally saw the technique on a bamboo fly rod building forum but I'm sure they got the idea from the bowl turners.

Ah well, I'm working on a pen tonight so I thought I'd show pics of the back side of the blanks I drilled out. The tubes are slightly recessed which creates a shadow but these holes are dead on. Plus I got one of those Canon sx170's on sale so I'm dying to use it:biggrin:

I then glue in the tubes and proceed to square the ends with a carbide cutter. With little to no slop in the drilled holes I only remove a hair of the blank to get things flush.

Attachments

• IMG_0050.JPG
    IMG_0050.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

Lenny

I too recommend using a center drill. Whatever method you use, it's important to go very slow initially to help let the drill bit find center.

TurtleTom

The Z axis.

Another point not mentioned is the z axis.
Just because the centers line up doesn't mean the shaft on the tailstock is going perpendicular to the chuck. It's easy enough to check by setting an indicator to the tailstock shaft and turning the crank. You'll know pretty quick. Remember there are two axes (yes that is spelled right), left and right and up and down. The up and down would be have to be fixed with shimstock each time. Left and right I leave up to you.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

Last edited:

Skie_M

I don't yet have a 4-jaw chuck for my lathe so I had to figure a way to drill centered holes for my pen blanks. I also don't have that really nice special blank drilling chuck either. This is the method I ended up using fairly successfully for my first 15 or so pens...

First, I drill a small (1/8th inch) hole roughly centered in each end of my blank, and I turn the ENTIRE blank round between centers on my lathe. This hole is just for relief for the centers, and is only 1/4 inch deep at most.

Next, I get out my 3-jaw chuck (Harbor Freight Tools, 32 dollars, online order only >.<), and put that in my headstock (#1MT). I chuck the pen blank in and because it's round, the 3-jaw chuck automatically centers it. I leave the live center in the tailstock and use it to keep the blank running true for this next part.

I measure the length of blank I will need for my brass tubes, and using a thin cutoff tool, I cut the blanks to length. I'm not worried about any marks made on the outside of the blank, as that will all be turned away before I finish the pen.

After cutting my blanks to length, I chuck them back in the 3-jaw chuck and drill the blanks. The live center in the tailstock is removed now. I recently acquired a #1MT Jacobs chuck for my tailstock end (Penn State, 3/8ths inch capacity, 13 dollars). Before that, I tore apart a keyless drill (Harbor Freight Tools, 12 dollars with coupon), and used the keyless chuck on that for a HANDLE to drill by hand. I still occasionally drill by hand because it's faster and doesn't bind on the lathe so much (Harbor Freight Tools Mini Wood Lathe ... it just doesn't have the torque to power through).

In any case, starting your hole perfectly centered is definitely part of the key to getting good centered holes. I generally start my holes now using the new chuck in the tailstock and slowly advancing it into the rotating stock while I keep the chuck steady with my free hand. Drilling a 1/8th pilot a good bit into the blank always helps. After that, I change bits to the correct size and either drill using the tailstock or by hand. By drilling at least the first part of the hole using the tailstock drill chuck, I can generally get a perfectly centered hole all the way through using either method.

Keep in mind that if you drill by hand, the hole on the side you are drilling FROM may get a little oversize if you don't keep it steady and in line. Never use a bent bit. In fact, if you ever drop your chuck on the floor with a bit in it, don't even bother looking at it, just toss that bit. And double-check the chuck to make sure you didn't bend the morse taper.

If you start the hole with a tiny bit of wobble, by the time you reach the other side the hole may have wandered a bit off. This is generally OK, because you should still have enough material to turn away that this will never be apparent. It's only after you have the brass tubes glued in that you need to be 100% accurate in turning, sanding, and pressing your kit together.

If you're drilling something eccentric or misshapen, like a section of deer antler ... a drill press is my weapon of choice. I have a drill press vise that I have modified. I removed the steel jaw plates and replaced them with 3/16th inch vinyl plates that I drilled and countersunk to use the original screws from the steel plates. The vinyl gives fairly well, but it's tough. I use this as my primary pen press as well. For holding antler, they have a firm, but soft grip, so I don't ruin the outer appearance of the material. I get it to stand up as straight as possible by putting walnut and maple shims around it, and then drill my 3/8ths hole right through with a standard twist bit.

I am currently using a similar method to try to drill some granite that I got locally, but the bit I am using is a 3/8ths inch carbide glass cutting bit. I think I may need to pre-drill a 1/8ths inch pilot hole. In my first attempt, the bit wandered a little and blew out the side. :(

Top Bottom